Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Dash heater leaking
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Dash heater leaking
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of Don in Niagara
posted
We have a coolant leak somewhere up front only when the dash heater is operating. I've read a couple of archived posts on heater plenum/core r&r and it looks like a major operation.
Anyone done it recently? On an old Regency like ours? Might just be a loose hose connection? I wish!!
Hard to tell anything without a lot of disassembly and any hints or tips on where to start will be greatly appreciated.
Don

1990 Regency 34'
Cummins 6CTA 8.3 240hp
Spartan Chassis,
4 speed Allison MT643

Posts: 630 | Location: Niagara Falls, Canada | Member Since: 11-09-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Usually, heater cores require major disassembly to change. First, check all hose connections you can reach, then try radiator stop leak, & pray. I've had the most success with the kind of stop leak that has silvery particles in suspension.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
When I had my dash air system rebuilt they removed the dash pad cover and cut out the top of the steel dash support to reach the core and hoses. After replacing the unit they welded the cut out portion back in and replaced the dash pad. Worked fine and is invisible. Given the shoehorn way it is enclosed this is probably the only way to reach the unit. It surely won't come out through the kick panel access or from under the front of the body.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
I just had this done two years ago. My mechanic was able to get to the core thru the front (generator) access door. I took the core to a great radiator shop in Chicopee MA and the guy repaired my tanks and recored it. Let me know if you have any questions.

Rick

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post