Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    ODB on a 93 Cummins 6BTA5.9 Diesel
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

ODB on a 93 Cummins 6BTA5.9 Diesel
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Scubique
posted
Hello all,

Does anyone know if it is possible to get OBD data (on board diagnostics) from an 92-93 Cummins 6BTA5.9 Diesel?

I know that OBD2.0 data will not be available but perhaps OBD1 is?

Any assistance (even if the answer is no) would be greatly appreciated.

Scubique

Posts: 35 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 04-24-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
There is no OBD on early Cummins diesels. They are completely mechanical engines, only oil pressure and temperature sensors that only drives gauges. A full OBD protocol was only implemented on very late 24 valve 5.9L engines and 6.7L successor engines.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Scubique
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for the response MWrench. I appreciate it. I will stop chasing the idea of engine monitoring through the touch screen I am building for the front end of the coach.

Scubique

Posts: 35 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 04-24-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Touch screen "glass panel" has been something on my mind for quite awhile. I wouldn't replace the analog VDO gauges just place the glass panel in front the could be flipped up out of the way should a back up be required.

The sensors for the engine, trans, speed, tires are there or could be placed (tire pressure, EGT, BOOST etc.) and could be standard VDO outputs. For driving that would be all that is needed.

As far as engine diagnostics there would be none

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Hey Ed,

I'd like to see that if you ever do it.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Touch screen "glass panel"

like this...??
http://busrvparts.com/Dash_Upgrades.htm

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post