Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Replacing door liner
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Replacing door liner
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
My dog had a panic attack recently and tried to eat her way through the faux leather on our door. Anyone ever had to replace it? If so, I'd appreciate some advice.

Thanks.

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mine got a starburst crack due to extremely cold weather (-10° with the step cover down). I thought about replacing it - but looked at all the little screws, and decided I liked the "nouveaux art".

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I just got a new 1/4" sheet of plywood; cut it out from the old one as a pattern; glued 1/8" closed cell foam to the wood and then stretched a new piece if vinyl over the door and glued it with contaxt cement and stapled it to the backside. With cut outs for handles and windows it took about one Sat morning. The buttons are covered with the same vinyl and attached in the same place as the original. You will need:
1/4" marine plywood
1/8" closed cell foam (upholstery supply)
2-1/2 yards of matching vinyl (same upholstery supply)
Butttons and plastic screw backs (same place)
Pneumatic stapler with 1/4" upholstery staples (rent or borrow)
sharp utilty knife and scissors;
There is a special tool to apply the vinyl to the button heads but any upholstery shop can do it for you for a cup of coffee and a donut.
The going wholesale price of Ultraleather vinyl is about $63 per yard, cheaper vinyl like Naugahyde is in the $40 range. Our vendor is Keyston Brothers who have nationwide stores and web site service.
Done many of these, it all depends on how carefully you measure and cut.
You should also consider getting some estimates with the door panel off the coach door. Might be easier.
Good luck.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
thanks! this will be a big help.

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Yep, Tom may have inspired me to tackle mine, too...

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Bill G and I attacked the door yesterday. Not all Barths are created equal. Mine had aluminum instead of plywood. We were able to just cut a piece of foam to patch so we did not have to refoam the entire door. The vinyl was not as heavy as the original but it was a good match color-wise.

Fun job!