Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    replacement wheels for a 1973 25 foot Barth
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

replacement wheels for a 1973 25 foot Barth
 Login now/Join our community

She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
Ladies and Gentlemen:

My wife and I are picking up a Barth that still has split rim wheels.

I would like to replace them with newer rims. The common size of the tires has changed as I understand it and split rim wheels are no longer serviced at many tire stores.

So:

1)What size wheels (rims) should I get?
Diameter?
Bolt pattern?
Width?

2)What is a “good” place to find them?

For Item 2 "good" means low cost, used is fine.

Thank You:

Timothy and Lana

[This message has been edited by timnlana (edited June 23, 2004).]

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
Check out Truck Equipment Access. in Houston http://www.chromewheel.com/nojava/refurb2.htm They refurbish Alcoas and sell at a discount. They also sell Alcoa satin finish take-offs at about $125/ea.

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
WEll, congrats on your purchase. Are you going to tell us about it?

Is it a Chevy P30 chassis?

Does it have 5 studs on front and 10 in back?

Dual wheels in back?

How much weight on each corner?

P30 16 inch wheels come in 6 and 6.5 inch widths. There are code letters stamped on the rims. May take a little Scotchbrite, wire brush or steel wool to read the code.

The 6 inchers are coded AA and AF.
The AA is limited to 3045 lbs load and 90 lbs air pressure and the AF is limited to 2440 lbs load and 75 lbs max pressure.

The 6.5 width is coded BF and limited to 2780 lbs load and 85 psi.

As for tire sizes, consult a Tire Guide for your weight and rim width. I think I used LT225R85 on my 16 inchers. Check pound rating.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Locally, try Walt's RV, Fontana, CA (909) 823-0563 and All Auto Truck Recycle, Rancho Cordova, CA (800) 477-3086

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Bill:
Thanks for the local shop names.

The Barth is a real "I found it in a Barn" in the countryside story. Ok I found the listing here thanks to Dave.

The coach is in the hills of KY and we will have a bit of a drive to get it out to LaLa land. The plan is to fit new rubber everything at the start of the trip rather than beside the road ouside of Mojavi.

I will have the people selling the coach count the bolts in the bolt pattern. I think it is a P30 but all I can say is it has some chevy motor in it.

Ed, thanks for the pointer to the Aluminum people. Once I am sure of the size maybe I can swing the fancy wheels and have them send out to the coach.

I'll be back

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently purchased aluminum wheels and considered alcoa's. The problem I found is that alcoa's have the cheepie lug nut caps that tend to get lost or damaged easily. I decided to go with Ultra. They are just as nice, have the normal one piece lug nut, and were only $800. installed for four. I'm really happy with them. (No more lost simulators)

Posts: 42 | Location: Camarillo, Ca. USA | Member Since: 12-24-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post