Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Bellymount AC Issues
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Bellymount AC Issues
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Chuck M
posted
Hi everyone.....

I just ran into some issues with our bellymount ac unit. It started to not blow cold air like it once did. I thought it may need a shot of freon or something.

From what the repairman thought.....It looks like the ac has two condensers and one of them was not working. The gentlemen, that the rv dealer recommended I call - Mobile Air, came to where I have the rv parked and was wondering how to access the unit. He was saying that from the underneath compartment he could access the electrical portion only and could not get to the "guts" of the ac. He also looked under the rv and noted that the coach was coated and sealed so he could not get in from underneath. He wrote down the serial number and was going to call the manufacturer for prints of the unit. His thought was that he would have to drill off the front riveted panels of the ac and that hopefully the unit was on rails that could be rolled out to access. Don't know if anyone has experienced a similar situation or had any thoughts about this.......

The other question he had was if the coach was wired for 120v around the ceiling vents, just in case the unit was unrepairable or cost prohibitive to place two new ceiling mount ac units in where the current air vents are.

As noted in other "posts" I don't bring much to the table when it comes to mechanics....if you guys have any insight or have had a similar problem I would very much appreciate your expertise! Thanks for your time!

Chuck Montgomery

1994 36' Regal
GM 502 Fuel Injected Supercharger
Chevy Chassis
Data Tag Number:: 9406 3913 36FC 1B

Posts: 27 | Location: Delaware | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chuck M
posted Hide Post
Just saw the post on add'l info.....sorry about that!

1994 36' Regal
GM 502 Fuel Injected Supercharger
Chevy Chassis
Data Tag Number:: 9406 3913 36FC 1B

Posts: 27 | Location: Delaware | Member Since: 09-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I replaced the our basement air with roof top units. The ceiling vents were wired for 12vdc and a fantastic fan. But wire is wire and the wires were 12 gauge. Found where they originated (behind the refrigerator), unhooked them from 12vdc and hooked them up to a new ac line that I had run from the original ac circuit breaker. I now had 120vac to the opening. Add a roof top and we were in business.

On complaint is we added a Carrier and would have preferred a Penguin because of noise.

Side benefit, we gained a large bay where we carry a freezer.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1187 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Sadly the new Penguin units require 12VDC for the thermostat, so both 120VAC and 12VDC are needed.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post