Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Levelers up or down for the winter
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Levelers up or down for the winter
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
Is it good or bad to level the Barth using the levelers for the winter? It would keep some pressure off the tires but does it hurt the levelers?

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted Hide Post
Mine froze in the mud once. I leave them up now. Click

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
I'm using HD jack stands for the rear and blocks in the front to get the load off the tires for storage.

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Down to hold the Barth up! Airbags empty.

Not trying to drift this topic, but I always make my levelers vertical then dump the air bags. Next I use the jacks to level after the air bags are completely empty. Since dumping the air bags are part of leveling, where is the switch in YOUR Barth to dump the air bags (if you have air ride suspension)? My air bag dump switch is next to the leveling jack controls. Hopefully I remember to flip the air bag dump switch back after dumping air. The relays are a normally closed relay. In the open position the relays are using power.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To reply to the original question- I do not know and would like to know. But mine has set as long as a year up on the jacks with no problem and apparently the shafts do not corrode witch would be hard on the seals. The only leveler jack problems that I have had are the funky folding rube golbergs that just are poor design and wear out quickly. The air bags do deflate and (I think) you should not lower down all the way before letting the bags inflate before being totally compressed. I just switch to manual and air them up before coming down off the jacks. Hope this helps. john

Posts: 81 | Location: golden valley, az | Member Since: 02-05-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
After reading this question, I went to HWH website. they are the manufacturer's on mine. they have a list of 130 some questions that they have been asked. there answer to can the jacks be down, go ahead, leave them anywhere you want. it won't hurt them.
Ken

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post