Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Power steering system P30
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Power steering system P30
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
On our last trip to Michigan I developed a leak in the power steering. Not terrible but bad enough that I had to add fluid every day. My neighbor buddy has a friend staying with him that is an incredible GM wrench and when he saw this classic old coach he couldn't wait to dive in. First thing was to clean the entire area [after bleeding the air out] and track down the areas where it's leaking. He's sure the pump is leaking so he's pulling it and the lines. Thought I'd scored a new one from O Riellys for about 60 bucks but they are out of stock and don't know when they will or if they will get more. So I got on line and everybody wants well over a hundred bucks for aftermarket - rebuilts. His plan is to get it out and check the bearings, then see if a rebuild kit is available with new gaskets and seals. However we fix the pump leak we'll then replace all the lines and hope the box is OK. It appears wet but the high line from the pump looks to be wicking fluid down to it so that may be where it's coming from.
He's the type of guy who looks at everything while he's down there and he discovered the anti-sway bar bushings were worn, [one was gone], so I have new ones already in. He said after we get the leaking fixed he'll move on to the rest of the steering and suspension components. I could never have had this much work done at the local shop @ $150+ per hour, and I trust this guy a lot more than them anyway. Looks like I'll be in good shape for next summer's trip, wherever that may be.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
When I had the Regal I got the pump from Summit. Good price and quick shipping, but that was about 6 years ago. As I recall the pump for the HydroBoost system was rated higher than standard pressure but otherwise the same mountings, etc.

Good to have a mechanic who loves dinosaurs! A good thing indeed.

We'll be over your way soon, see you then!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5160 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
Danny it’s not always what you know but who you know. The Barthmobile group always helps each other but having a neighbor who knows and loves old stuff(vintage) is great. Good luck

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1383 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi All, over the years I've been fortunate to have a number of friends and acquaintances with pro experience in mechanics, welding, and fabrication, who periodically visit our shop to see what projects we're presently working on. With some individuals we traded their mechanical services for our graphic expertise. However, one of the best, most versatile, and hardest working mechanics who helped us, only requested that my wife set an extra plate for lunch & then make her "made from scratch" whole wheat blueberry pancakes as payment. Smiler

But seriously, in order to keep a vintage machine, especially a Barth Motorhome, running smoothly, you need one of or a combination of three things: first would be an owner/operator with a lot of mechanical experience, tools, energy, & a place in which to use it. Second, friends with the same qualifications, or third, very deep pockets if you're going to pay full price to a professional repair shop (some of which want no part of working on an RV). Unfortunately, the number of roadworthy Barths we'll see in the future may decline because it's really not for the faint of heart or for one who lacks commitment.

Good Luck,
John

Posts: 55 | Location: Central Pa. | Member Since: 03-24-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Danny, Rockauto has your pump, cheapest is like $52 including core $21 back if you return the core. Many others are listed too.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2044 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I will have to re-visit Rockauto. When I checked them a couple days ago they were over $160 for rebuilts and pushing $250 for new. O Rielly's quoted me $56 plus core before they found that they couldn't get one. I also looked on E Bay and Amazon but until I get the old one out and can see which one I need I can't price it. Unfortunately my wrench got into some legal trouble Friday [something about a drivers license] and is incommunicado at this time. Seems this is far from the first time for him and Florida takes a dim view of this particular offense. I'll go out there this morning and see where he is in the extraction. I know he had the AC compressor out, [he was very impressed with the bracket Richard fabbed for it] and was close to getting the pump out when he knocked off Thursday night.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
see here:

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...033979587#3033979587

I replaced the pump in my Regal: Cardone 20-8713

I got it from CarQuest but they seem to be available from several sources

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5160 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
My wrench is back and got the pump out yesterday. I was working and didn't get a chance to talk to him and he took the pump with him so I'm not sure what he has in mind but at least progress is again being made. I think I blew a hole in one of the Turbo mufflers but I was going to have some quieter ones installed anyway so no big deal there. Are there different thicknesses in mufflers? The Turbos seem very thin and fragile to me. I blew the first one out when my distributor wasn't advancing properly and I was getting some huge backfires, but I don't know why this one blew out. I'm sure the hole is in the top, suggesting unburned gas collecting in the muffler then igniting. After the PS problem is fixed we'll take it for a ride and my wrench will diagnose how she's running.

79 Barth Classic