Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Hot Water Assist
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Hot Water Assist
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Barthosaurus has hot water assist but the hoses are not connected to the radiator. They are just looped together in the engine compartment.
Is there a good reason to reattach them or just completely disconnect them at the hot water heater? I don't care if we have hot water when we get to the campground or not. My concern is:
1. The hoses are old, 31 years. And if you're going to use the system, the hoses should be replaced.
2. If I remove them completely, will it effect the engine cooling? We've had the Barth since last September and have not had any cooling problems even with the system not connected to the radiator.

Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I am guessing, however if the hoses are disconnected, they probably had some problem in the lines. If you do not care if you have hot water on the road, then do not reconnect them. Mine were disconnected, but I reconnected them, after finding most of the line was copper, I did change out the rubber connecting stuff though. Can not think of any cooling problem not having them connected would cause. I like having hot water to wash my hands on the road, and its free!!!

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
No problem if the lines are disconnected. Just run a new bypass hose in the engine bay.

I had a loop for the forward heater and water heater in my Monarch. It leaked and I bypassed the whole thing for a while. I have since reconnected the cab heat loop (new hoses) but not the water heater.

I am thinking about reconnecting the water heater loop. The only down side I can see (assuming hoses are good) is the water temp. Most water heaters are set for 140 degrees. Your engine will heat it to around 200 degrees. Just be careful not to get scalded!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Steve's right about the hot! On our first trip to Dega after a 10 hour run we got into the campground and I turned on the water to wash up. It was steaming! I didn't even know we had this feature and couldn't figure out what was going on. Kind of a neat feature but not what I would consider a necessity. Don't have it on this coach and don't miss it.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3476 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
We have it. We like it. We have a marine electric hot water heater so either engine or generator.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post