Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    rear axle
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

rear axle
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted
We've had our 85 Barth Regency for 2 years and have had the normal problems that come with an older model. While on the road last week when I put it in drive, there was a loud explosion and we found that the left rear axel had snapped. Has anyone had this problem? Our Barth is still in Jacksonville, because they can't find an axel.

[This message has been edited by Jim & Barb Rustige (edited June 16, 2003).]

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Jim and Barb,

I assume you have a Chevy chassis and hate to hear about your catastrophic event. Primarily because we have twin coaches and I would hate to have that happen to me. What was the cost to repair?

Dave

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
dave, our coach has a detroit diesel 8.2t with a 4 speed allison auto. trany. we broke down May 30,2003 and so far the truck repair shop has not found a replacement axle. I never heard of an axle just snapping. Is this common for a barth? or just a long over due defective axle? the break occured exactly between the two axle bearings. the chassis is an mcc.

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
Picture of davebowers
posted Hide Post
Ya Jim and Barb,

I don't think you have a Regal, you have a Regency on an MCC Chassis. That's why I put the disclaimer on the MCC's under Barth's for sale. You need to call For questions and parts on MCC Chassis Motor Coach Restorations in Lincoln, IL at 217-735-1536. I think this guy is the only guy that can help you. Yes I know these coaches ride like sports cars but the brakes stink unless you paid the big bucks to upgrade with MCR and chassis parts are generally unavailable at decent prices.

Posts: 1658 | Location: Eden Prairie, MN 55346 USA | Member Since: 01-01-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The part that probably broke is the axel's "output" or "pinion" shaft, L and R are identical... thay are 250.00 from Les at Motorhome Restorations... not that bad, considering. go shop for a pinion shaft for a Bus of heavy truck... comparable prices... after 18 years, not bad...

Posts: 159 | Location: Newington, CT USA | Member Since: 06-02-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
To Dave and all who responded. My axle parts plus one shock is on it's way to Jax. from Motor Coach Restoration. I spoke to Les and he confirmed the shipment. Thanks to all...