Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    doghouse parts
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

doghouse parts
 Login now/Join our community

posted
Amongst the many things the "Toaster" needs is both the thermal acoustic liner for the 'doghouse' and the heat resistant weatherstripping that fits around the edges to seal it to the floor of the cab.

would any of you care to advise me where I can obtain replacements?
thanks very much.

geoffrey

Posts: 48 | Location: boonville,ca. | Member Since: 01-30-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Try J.C. Whitney. They have a couple thicknesses of heat-resistant sound insulation, & a variety of rubber moldings. The moldings are not likely to be specifically heat resistant, but there should be an appropriate shape.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
Last year I lined the interior of my doghouse with the heat-reflective sound deadener material from CW...kit is enough to install a double layer, plus the stationary lower sidewalls of the engine compartment...Sure made a difference....

My doghouse lid seal came from Home Depot..It's the bulb-type rubber extrusion designed for the bottom of garage doors....Mounted it to the front, fixed walls too. (angled sides in-line w/ hinge) So far, (4k mi) no rubber deterioration from heat has been noticed.

Moving the bungee-latch catch about 1" higher up on the doghouse gave enough extra tension to keep the new rubber snugged down flat for a good seal.....

For 454 folks (probably 460 too), I recommend this upgrade...low tech, low cost, uncomplicated, and you WILL notice a difference in heat transmission & sound levels.

NOTE: While it will result in lower temps on the coach side of the doghouse, it doesn't mean high doghouse temps are ELIMINATED, just REFLECTED, and its gotta go somewhere. I think faithful adherance to a cool-down idling period after a hard run is even more important after this mod. .......In my case, I installed a small, 6" pancake fan on the rear fixed wall of the engine compartment, with a spring-type mechanical timer next to the hold-down bungee...gives me 5-15 minutes of run time after engine shut down...I like to think it destratifies any potential hot spot build-ups under the doghouse. If it's overkill, I'm out less than $25 and two hours of tinkering - not exactly a budget-breaker.........

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just lined mine with aluminum floor underlay designed for laminate floor installations on top of concrete. I'm sure any flooring center would be able to provide you with some remnants. I happened to have some left over from a reno job and it worked great, a huge difference in noise reduction. I put stainless staples in my staple gun and just stapled the liner to the wood. It was cheap and easy.

----------------------------------------------------------------

1977 24' 440 Dodge on propane with propane fired hot tub

Posts: 23 | Location: Nanaimo, BC, Canada | Member Since: 02-03-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post