Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    This is embarassing
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

This is embarassing
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Talk about early senility--yesterday, I went about replacing the bushings on the front sway bar of the '85, P32, Barth Regal. Removed the old brackets and bushings, dropped the sway bar, cleaned up the bushing area for the new bushings, and went to put it back on and realized there's a right side up or a wrong side up. Should have taken a picture first since pictures have good memories. So, the question is, "Does the middle part of the sway bar dip down, or does it bend up?" It seems to be able to be fitted either way.
Next time I'll take pictures or a least get somebody with a memory to help me.
Jim (Not Tere)

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Went out to have a look, and on mine the middle dips down, but it has to for clearance of the radiator hose on the passenger side of the dip.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Izzat a stock or aftermarket bar?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Stock, Bill. (I think--after this goof, I'm not sure of my name)
Jim (not Tere)

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Danny. I don't have a heater hose obstruction but if I get one more "down" response, that will be it. Of course, I 'hold all harmless' when I turn the thing over in a four wheel drift coming down the mountains of the Blue Ridge.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Stock,
Jim (not Tere)

You might consider an IPD bar. I have used them on all three of my P30s. An IPD bar was on the first list of safety items we bought before we went any farther than the dog park.

At the minimum, put in a set of stiffer bushings. It is a big improvement for only a little money.

FWIW, my IPD bar is straight across.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
Picture of Kris & Tina Jones
posted Hide Post
What is an IPD bar? Is IPD a manufacturer?

Posts: 486 | Location: Detroit, Michigan | Member Since: 02-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kris & Tina Jones:
What is an IPD bar? Is IPD a manufacturer?

IPD is a company that makes performance improvements, mainly for Volvos. The bar mentioned is their replacement for the P30 OEM anti-sway bar.

I think the IPD RV line was bought out by somebody else. Maybe Roadmaster.

1st month member
posted Hide Post
You might also try Hellwig which sells for about $300. It includes the bushings for the rear sway bar also.

1999 Airstream Safari 25'
2007 Toyota Tundra
1987 Yamaha YSR toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Hellwig is a good company. I use their stuff at the rear. They are good people to deal with if you have a problem or special app. Truckcomponents is a good place for their stuff.

The only reason I used IPD was that I got in the habit before Hellwig started making them.

Hellwig mght be the way to go, considering how Roadmaster has jacked the price. CW wants over six hundred now.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/10
Picture of bud@YXY
posted Hide Post
Hi Jim: we have a '77 21 ft P32.
Ireplaced our bushings a year or so ago and it helped.
Our bar had the low section DOWN!

PS when I did it I was sufficiently concerned about the same thing that I didn't remove the bar from under the coach---- so you are not alone.

Regards Bud

1993 Breakaway 36ft & 1977 20 ft
Spartan: air ride and brakes & P32(?)
Cummins: 8.3 litre 250hp, PACBrake
Allison 3060 (6 spd)
Front entry, side hallway
7.5 kw diesel gen.
1999 2dr Tracker 4X4 5spd, SMI Braking system

Posts: 253 | Location: Yukon--Arizona and around | Member Since: 06-09-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Photo Bucket liked me today so here's a pic.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
DOWN IT IS!!! Thanks to all. Next time I'll take pictures or have someone with a memory do it.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

First Month Member
posted Hide Post
It appears that the bar was bent down to clear the water hose back when the radiators had top and bottom tanks. When they switched to horizontal radiators, there was no longer a pressing need for a bent bar, but they stayed with it, anyway.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Question for Bill H. In the picture of your ipd Bar, just to the side of the bushing appears to be a pull cable of some sort. What is it, Air Dump?

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post