Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Gas Tank Replacement
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Gas Tank Replacement
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Plastic or metal? We are planning to refurbish ours but are wondering about a plastic one. Any experience out there with plastic?
Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
Tere you must love working on the barth.I just don't like plastic.
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
no experience with plastic... what is wrong with your tank that you are contemplating on replacing it?

most radiator rebuild shops with also repair your fuel tank

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
FWIW, I once had a Dodge van with a factory-option oversize plastic fuel tank. It never caused a problem, but I never felt quite as secure as I would have with a metal tank.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Not to steal Tere's thread, but she DOES love working on the Barth. Right now she has the gas tank laying on the ground, the carburetor en route to be rebuilt, the fuel pump on the bench, and most of the gas lines in the trash. When I met her 25+ years ago, she was sitting in the engine compartment of an old 60's era Ford, tinkering with something. Knew then she was for me. She's my best friend, the world greatest grandmother. I love her to death. She's the complete package!!
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Picture of Mary Ray
posted Hide Post
Jim, we all agree and she is A-1 go-cart driver also.

Mary

Don't mess with us old folks, we don't get old by being stupid!
1968 Barth trailer, 1975 Barth Motorhome and 1985 Barth Motorhome

Posts: 1603 | Location: Obion, TN/Memphis, TN | Member Since: 11-23-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Tere has the tank out and I took off the sending unit and discovered almost no trash in the tank. A very small amount of something black like sand but just a little. The sock looked new and had no junk on it. This makes us think that the problem was not the rear tank, but something in the carb to begin with. The tank has two small rust spots, one the size of a dime, and the other the size of a nickel. What should we do with those? Have found no radiator shops in Knoxville that want to mess with it.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
quote:
The tank has two small rust spots, one the size of a dime, and the other the size of a nickel. What should we do with those?

I would just treat them. Brush off the rust, use some naval jelly, sand, spray some zinc on it and be done. Unless your talking about inside...then I personally have no suggestions.

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Posts: 148 | Location: Mississippi | Member Since: 09-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/09
Picture of Curtis H.
posted Hide Post
I have no personal experience with this product, but I've read about Gas Tank Sealer Kit For Cars sold by Eastwood. I'm not sure how large your tank is, but this "bundle of products" says it's for up to a 20 gallon tank.
Another company I'm a fan of is POR15. I've used their products before, and am always very impressed with the quality. Here is their line of Fuel System Restoration Products

From the sound of it, it seems like your tank is fairly clean though, it this might not even be needed. Since you already removed the sending unit, see if you can use a digital camera to take a picture of the inside of the tank and post it up here.

"The greatest good you can do for another is not just share your riches but to reveal to him his own." Benjamin Disraeli

Posts: 99 | Location: Rochester, MI | Member Since: 10-08-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
There are rust spots, & there are rust spots. If they are merely surface rust inside the tank, I'd say don't mess with them. If they're surface rust outside the tank, treat as jsloan suggests,though my preference to halt the rust is a product called "Extend" rust treatment. In any case, be sure to paint over any kind of rust treatment.

If the rust is thick enough to be flaking, or causing obvious thickening, it could be more serious. Surface rust whether inside or out, is not likely to be a problem.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jsloan
posted Hide Post
quote:
my preference to halt the rust is a product called "Extend" rust treatment

I thought "Extend" was...o wait...never mind, that is another product..

~Jeff~

1984 28' Regal P30

Posts: 148 | Location: Mississippi | Member Since: 09-13-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
The two spots are on the inside. I'll try to take pictures. It is more than surface rust tho.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
You should be able to find a shop that will do a rust treatment and sealer application, on numerous hotrods I have built, I have done this and it works well, even if it was beyond surface rust, just so long as the rust hasn't compromised the tank material.

I am not in favor of a plastic fuel tank, for diesel--maybe-- but not for gasoline.

I will resend a response to your email, I mistakenly sent it to Bill (playing around with new email program and blew it!)

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post

This is about the size of my thumbprint

Same as above

This one quarter size.

These are just surface rust. One is 1/2 dollar size the other is quarter size

The first two are pretty rusty.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
The top ones look like they're about ready to go through. If they were mine, I'd let a pro look at them. If the tank is out, they could probably be patched professionally. Wouldn't try it myself, though there wasn't much that would scare me when I was still turning wrenches.