Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Storage compartment locks
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Storage compartment locks
 Login now/Join our community

"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted
I am looking for a storage compartment lock for a 1991 Breakaway. The key for it is from "Southco". It became very difficult to turn (open or close) so I removed the lock, to clean and lubricate it. I think I broke it when I removed it. The handle on the outside is still attached to the door. I loosened the two screws on the inside of the door, but the handle on the outside remained tight. I put a wrench on the one of the nuts on the shaft, and turned it. The lock came out, but I think I will not be able to put it back in.

Is anyone familiar with these locks? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Posts: 57 | Location: Washington DC | Member Since: 03-11-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ yrs of active membership"
posted Hide Post
Its been awhile, but I think I found a replacement key at the local camper place. Check in your locality, they might have the lock it self to replace? BTW, it wasn't the worn key as we hoped, the new one didn't make it turn either. Our lock still doesn't work right! Another thing on the tuit list.

Posts: 34 | Location: Michigan, USA | Member Since: 08-10-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have seen those storage locks at Camper's supply stores and I'm sure if you found one like you old ones, you could have a Locksmith re-key it to match the old guys.

I would like to find a source for the SOUTHCO "hollow" keys. That's what my Fuel door and the front engine compartments use. By the way, is that what your SOUTHCO keys are like? My storage compartment locks use a standard flat type key so what I said above may not apply.

Anvilman

Posts: 27 | Location: Aurora, CO USA | Member Since: 05-05-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
here is a web site that promises to supply you a name of a local locksmith that carries these keys. Hope this helps...

http://www.plsgroup.com/Mitchell/MotorHome_List_Request.htm

Posts: 136 | Location: overland park,ks,usa | Member Since: 08-20-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
<ann and peggy>
posted
I replaced a bunch of my locks and got some new keys last year. Go to www.southco.com find the lock you need and send them an email. They were very responsive and helpful. If you want specific numbers from me, as to lock and key, let me know via email at pfritz@ezl.com. hope this helps.

------------------

[This message has been edited by davebowers (edited May 16, 2003).]

Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"First Year of Inception" Membership Club
posted Hide Post
Folks,

I really appreciate all the reply's.

I contacted Southco 18 months ago, and got two more keys (hollow keys). They were very nice to deal with; in fact they gave me two keys for free. I gave them the numbers on the one key that I had, and that was all they needed.

I didn't realize that they also carried the complete lock assemblies. The "Southco.com" link didn't work in my Netscape browser, but it works with Internet Explorer.

I will send them a picture of the lock and see if they have something to directly replace it. I think I'll get a couple of extra locks while I'm at it.

Again, thanks a lot. This is a big help.

Tom

Posts: 57 | Location: Washington DC | Member Since: 03-11-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post