Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Need gaskets
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Need gaskets
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted
The gaskets on the torpedo running lights on the front of my roof are allowing moisture to enter and all five bulbs were blown. I replaced them with LED lights and soaked the gaskets in silicone but they still allow moisture to enter. Can I make new gaskets and if so out of what material?

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Richard_Muise:
The gaskets on the torpedo running lights on the front of my roof are allowing moisture to enter and all five bulbs were blown. I replaced them with LED lights and soaked the gaskets in silicone but they still allow moisture to enter. Can I make new gaskets and if so out of what material?

PO made the same mistake on my Glassnose, They had put heavy chalk all around the windshield looked like a python around the windscreen. I used similar to OEM replacement lights and kept what was ok of the old, installed with a bit of urethane sealant on the rivets, wire holes and under the lamp frame. So far so good.

Had a terrible time removing most of the gook, the inside windshield frame was rusting and water was dripping on the dash.

Whoops I bet you are talking about the lens, mine leak too, but mine drain and the rivets and wire hole is sealed.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Before you blame the lights consider the pop-rivets! On my Glasnose the lights have screws and caulk, but the pop-rivets leak around the mandrel. Over time they get eaten and leak more. I have replaced all the rivets with aluminum mandrel closed end rivets. End of leaks.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
SLC lighting in Ohio sells the gaskets for the lenses on the 518 clearance light for about $1.05 ea.
kenny

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post