Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    timming pointer
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

timming pointer
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of rp's barth
posted Hide Post
i looked them up and they mount on the front cover not the oil pan i have looked and looked for one thanks for all the response, if i can't find one i will try to make one with all the information I have received it doesn't look that hard .

Richard & Robin
s7809 2539 MC27 FP3

• 1979 27'
  • 454 Chevy
  • P-32 Chassis

Posts: 297 | Location: Deltona Flordia | Member Since: 08-18-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Those things are hard to find. My GM parts guy can usually find anything, he has yet to find it in any of his resources. It's like they never made them but we know there were a lot of P30 chassis that must have had them.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5177 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
I don't remember if you can see the top of the bellhousing when the doghouse is lifted or not. If you can you could make an elongated hole in the top and drill a dimple at the appropriate location on the flywheel. Put a dab of white paint in the dimple. Use a magnet to catch the metal filings.
Rotate the engine by hand until the damper mark is aligned with the tdc mark then scribe a mark on the housing and dimple the flywheel. Roll the engine to the next mark, scribe it on the housing and use that distance for all other marks.
Otherwise power time the engine, get a long hill set the nut holding the distributor pretty snug but not tight. Firewall the pedal, advance until you start to hear knocking then back off until it quits. The knocking that is.
Caution, if you use this method you want good wires, nothing like getting lit up when driving with the pedal on the floor.

Posts: 1068 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
Use a magnet to catch the metal filings.

Another way is filling the flutes near the tip with thick grease to catch drilling swarf before it goes anywhere.

quote:
Otherwise power time the engine, get a long hill set the nut holding the distributor pretty snug but not tight. Firewall the pedal, advance until you start to hear knocking then back off until it quits. The knocking that is.

I use an MSD device for this. It has a rheostat in the cockpit that lets me fiddle the advance for load, temp, grade, quality of gas, etc.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post