Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    water heater
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

water heater
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of rp's barth
posted
I feel I should replace my water heater do to its age (1979) and i do not care for propane what is another alternative? or are the newer ones pretty safe?

Richard & Robin
s7809 2539 MC27 FP3

• 1979 27'
  • 454 Chevy
  • P-32 Chassis

Posts: 296 | Location: Deltona Flordia | Member Since: 08-18-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
FKA: noble97monarch
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/12
Picture of Moonbeam-Express
posted Hide Post
Although also propane, I would likely replace mine with the new on-demand gas water heaters. They are used in homes, business, virtually everywhere now, so I assume they are safe. Furthermore, you are not carrying around ten extra gallons of heavy water at all times.

The downside is they don't make a two way, so you must use gas. I think the biggest advantage to my current two way is the ability to let the campground heat my water, after all you pay for it regardless.

Corey

Formerly: 1997 Barth Monarch
Now: 2000 BlueBird Wanderlodge 43' LXi Millennium Edition DD Series 60 500HP 3 stage Jake, Overbuilt bike lift with R1200GS BMW, followed by 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited,
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”

Posts: 2228 | Location: Laurel Park, NC | Member Since: 03-16-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
http://www.defender.com/produc...72|319680&id=1110839
This is a bit small to my mind, I have an 11 gallon tank. Electric is no problem if you are at a campground and I find the engine heat exchanger gives me very warm water within about 20 minutes and hot water in about 30. This is using 140 to 160 degree thermostats on the engines, with 190 stats you should have hot water nearly as soon as you have the stat opening.
Tim

Posts: 1067 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by noble97monarch:
Although also propane, I would likely replace mine with the new on-demand gas water heaters. They are used in homes, business, virtually everywhere now, so I assume they are safe. Furthermore, you are not carrying around ten extra gallons of heavy water at all times.

The downside is they don't make a two way, so you must use gas. I think the biggest advantage to my current two way is the ability to let the campground heat my water, after all you pay for it regardless.

Corey

Our Barth was made with a Paloma on-demand propane water heater. We love it. It uses only the gas you need. That means it only lights off when a hot water faucet is opened. It has the advantage of allowing really long showers if you are hooked up to water and drain.

It is also a little smaller than the standard RV heater, so there is a little more room in the closet or cabinet or wherever.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Just saw this on craig's if anybody is interested Paloma Tankless Water heater
Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Snyder
posted Hide Post
Anyone had a water heater repaired or replaced like this one ('89 Barth Regency)? The insulation on the bottom of the storage tank got damp and there was a steady stream of water draining out of the nozzle (with the red tag in the photo) on the exterior of the unit the last time I tried to use it.

Posts: 6 | Location: Las Vegas | Member Since: 03-04-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The red tagged valve is known as a "T & P" safety valve. They are normally closed but are supposed to open if the Temperature or Pressure gets too high. Sometimes they get crud in them and will not seal. If you flush them out a bit sometimes they will seal again. If they continue to leak you'll have to replace it. They are easily replaced but they are a 1/2" pipe thread, most of the home units have a 3/4" thread.

Be sure the combustion tube is clean at both ends.

I replaced my water heater a while back. Not too bad depending on access inside. Remove gas line and wires from outside, hot and cold water lines, engine heater lines (if equipped) from the inside. Drill out the outside rivets and out it comes.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5171 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
A good chance your safety valve is leaking because the tank is water logged and lost its necessary air space. Drain down tank and refill - that usually fixes the leaking.

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
quote: Paloma on-demand propane water heater

http://www.propanewaterheaters...ters/RV500/index.htm

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post