Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Fuel Tank CAP
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Fuel Tank CAP
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted
I am looking-for a CAP for my diesel fuel tank.

The original was kinda flat and crome on the up-side.

Can't seem to find anything on the Internet.

Anyone have any hook-ups in the gas-cap world???

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Mac: Had the same problem some time ago. Gary Carter came to my rescue. Auto Zone has a fuel cap made by CST Inc.(Cooling Systems Technologies)
#6818. Perfect fit for my diesel fill tube. NAPA does not carry this brand nor could they help me. Price was $6.95.............

Former owner of "THE TOY"
1988 Barth Regal SE 33' Tag
1992 Barth Breakaway 32'
2005 Coachmen Mirada 32' DS

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Mac,I replaced the cap on our Regency with a Stant 11640. This is a vented cap which is what is needed on the tank. It should be available at any auto parts store.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/10
Picture of Medic37
posted Hide Post
Took Carl's advice on the CST's [and since there is a new AUTO ZONE here in town].

Passed-on the 6818 and replaced my *missing* cap with A CST 6023, which looks nearly exactly like the original without the dents. Vented and fits perfectly.

Thanks for the help!

~Mac~

1990 31 Foot Regency
Spartan Chassis
Cummins 6CTA8.3
Alison MT643, 4-speed
8905-0123-31RDS-A2

Posts: 259 | Location: Sand Creek Township, Minnesota | Member Since: 06-21-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Now I'm really confused, should I/do I, need a vented fuel cap ?? Looking at my current cap I don't think it qualifies as a vented model.....

1992 Barth Breakaway 32'

Posts: 592 | Location: North Fort Myers, Florida, USA | Member Since: 11-20-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/12
Picture of Nick Cagle
posted Hide Post
Carl, most vented caps will have vented printed on the cap.

Nick

Posts: 1732 | Location: Harlem, GA | Member Since: 09-17-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Does my unvented cap creat a vacumn? Is there any down side to not having a vented cap? such as the fuel gage not being accurate or fuel flow being restricked,etc.........

1992 Barth Breakaway 32'

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by carlflack:
Does my unvented cap creat a vacumn?
Yes Carl, it "Could".

Most tanks are vented too. They allow air to suck into the tank as the fuel is removed. If your vehicle tips over, the tank vent has a check valve that should keep the fuel from leaking out.

Some vented caps have a PSI Vent built into them. If the tank gets pressurized, the psi relief will pop on the cap. A lot of Mack trucks are equipped with this type of fuel cap.

My thoughts, you probably won't have a problem, but if you use your coach, and you start to notice a loss of power, pop open the fuel cap and see if you have more power.

When I do a service on a truck, we blow air down the vents to make sure they're not plugged up. In a dual fuel tank (Most Trucks) this is important to fuel return and overfilling of one tank in a dual return fuel setup. Not something that is an issue with most RVs.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
A long time ago I had a traveling job for which I used a '53 Packard. Returning from a job in northern Wyoming, I gassed up South of Jackson Hole. It should have easily gotten me home to Denver, but the car quit about 5 miles too soon. I went through some unnecessary machinations, suspecting a faulty fuel pump, etc., before I finally discovered the gas station attendant had replaced my original cap with a non-vented one. My not-faulty fuel pump had enough suction to collapse the fuel tank, after which I could never get more than 17 gallons into a tank that originally held 21.

Moral: On a '53 Packard you certainly need a vented fuel tank cap. Probably not on a later vehicle, including a Barth if it has a vapor control system that provides another route for outside air to enter the tank. But it might be better to be safe than sorry.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Interesting question. On my 85 Regal, the rear tank has a vented cap, but when the 'chief mechanic' dropped the mid tank (installed by Barth, not GM), she got a non-vented cap for it. Now, when I take off the cap of the mid-tank, there's a 'whoosh' as the vacuum is filled. With a Q-jet and engine driven fuel pump, me thinks I need a vented cap. Opinions?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Methinks you're correct.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
...me thinks I need a vented cap.
Me thinks you're going to break down if you don't. Put on a vented cap!

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of carlflack
posted Hide Post
Spoke to John at CTS who confirmed that fuel caps #6818 and #6023 are VENTED. Auto Zone and O'Reily's, plus others carry their line....

1992 Barth Breakaway 32'