Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Transmission Cooler
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Transmission Cooler
 Login now/Join our community

She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
While I have the radiator pulled I am going to put in a transmission cooler and bid the shared radiator transmission cooler a big aloha.

There is a air conditioning heat exchanger in front of the radiatior and in front of that an engine oil cooler. I plan to mount the transmission cooler above the engine cooler.

Is this a good location? Is it too high?

Should I consider mounting the cooler on the passenger side below the battery? This would require it’s own fan, this is no big deal. If I mount the cooler on the passenger side I plan to open the front so there is air flow when I go down the road. Any thoughts?

I did not order a fan for the cooler as the plan at the moment is to place it in front with the oil cooler and put one big fan to blow into all the radiators at the same time. The Coach does not run hot so I plan to leave the engine driven fan alone. The engine drive fan has a new thermal clutch I put in last year.

The cooler I selected is set up for 1/2 inch pipe. Is there such a thing as too large an inisde diameter for the cooler?

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Old Man and No Barth
posted Hide Post
Tim, is your oil cooler truly an engine oil cooler, or is it really a transmission cooler? It would be unusual to find an add-on engine oil cooler, but no tranny cooler. Typically, transmissions need added cooling capacity more than engines do.

Check the routing of the hoses that connect your cooler. If one leads to the bottom of the radiator & the other to a line from the transmission, it is a transmission cooler. An engine oil cooler would be plumbed into the block somewhere, perhaps through an adapter at the base of the engine oil filter.

Posts: 1421 | Location: Upper Left Corner | Member Since: 10-28-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
My 84 had both a tranny fluid heat exchanger and an engine oil heat exhanger in the radiator side tanks. Neither were adequate for me. Your gages will tell you what you need to know.

Chevrolet recommends that the add on trans cooler be installed in series before the radiator heat exchanger to assure the fluid is brought up to temp in cold weather. For those who get caught in how weather traffic or go off-road, I would recommend a fan behind the radiator and one in front of the trans cooler. My worst tranny heating episodes have involved maneuvering in and out of difficult camp sites off road. Converter stall makes trans fluid temp rise shockingly fast.

I believe some previous posts might have more information.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
She who must be obeyed
and
me, Ensign 3rd crass
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Roy:

No question, what I have is an engine oil cooler. As you point out this configuration is rather strange.

Bill:

I have read the other post and in fact have posted them into a word document for more reading. Maybe one day a "How to do it the Barth way" publication might be a thought.

The idea of putting the existing system in series did not come up in my thinking. If there is a posting suggesting this I missed it. Thank you I will hook the existing setup in series at the output of my new cooler on the return to the transmission.

All the Best:

Timothy

Posts: 282 | Location: Studio City, California | Member Since: 02-07-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
I have the same set up. I also added a trans. cooler. It ended up at a 45 degree angle below the radiator just behind the bumper spanning the air space between the hydraulic tank for the levelers and the chassis. Seems to work very well and does not impede airflow to radiator. I also added a remote oil filter in line with the cooler. The oil path leaves trans.
enters filter then to outboard cooler and then on to the stock radiator cooler before returning to the trans.

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post