Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Hot Genset at Freeway Speeds.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Hot Genset at Freeway Speeds.
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted
Ran the QD 7500 yesterday and today about 16 continuous and have confirmed a trend in this coach. The genset runs fairly hot (215F at times) while driving at freeway speeds. When at a prolonged stop the temp on the genset drop considerably, down to 190F on a 100F ambient day.
I have formed an opinion that the center mounted genset (between the driver seat and front seat Pax seat) and with the genset radiator mounted just in front of the right front wheel well, is not flowing air properly at freeway speeds. Additionally, crosswinds from the left to right seem to make it worse.
My question is, does anyone have a similar configuration, with similar heating problems: if so have you been able to solve this and how.
My theory is that the fins on the intake on the outer skin of the coach are insufficient at freeway speed to overcome the high pressure area behind my front mounted radiator.
I can think of a lot of expensive fixes, I'm looking for something simple. We slept in the coach with Jenny running all night, ambient around 80F and genset at 170F, so working well, except for freeway speed.
I'm thinking of a scoop of some sort to push more air against the high pressure in the genset bay formed by the ram air through the radiator.
Anyone been there?

Thanks

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Assuming the radiator is clean and flowing properly you can replace the engine driven fan (about 900 cfm) with an electric fan (Spal 30101509 Medium profile) for about $ 150 and get 1280 cfm. It works for me and I sealed the grille area to reach quiet levels for national parks. That part was expensive.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
My gen set radiator is mounted front center on my Spartan chassis, directly in front of the gen set and I have no overheating problems. But yours is mounted off the the right of center?? Are there any baffles under the unit that would keep the air from flowing thru the gen set compartment? Maybe some pictures would help but there has got to be something pushing air away from your inlet when you are on the highway.
Really weird! Sorry I couldn't help.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post