Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Heater Controls and Actuators
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Heater Controls and Actuators
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
The HVAC control on my '94 Breakaway appears to be Chrysler; I may have a bad vacuum actuator - is the rest of the heating system Chrysler also (the actuator sure doesn't look like Ford or GM...)? If so, from the large New Yorker?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post

Master Tech
28717 Holiday Place
Elkhart, IN, 46517
(574) 522-6224

Some reading

It looks like pretty much any chrysler van or pickup from the mid 80's to 90's. I'm sure that NAPA or one of the other Auto Box stores would have it. Take the old one with you and see if it matches up.

Bill N.Y.

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
So it sounds like the whole HVAC box is also Chrysler....

BTW, I have a silver Sharpie (not Shar Pei) that I ran over the raised lettering and the ridges where the "chrome" had worn off...looks much better now.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
It turns out the actuator isn't bad - the whole plastic vacuum line from the firewall to the actuator was deteriorated (as in crumbling). I had plenty of slack in the old vacuum line, so pulled it out until I got to the section that had been inside, then cut it off and installed about 6' of 1/8" vacuum/washer hose, then pulled all the plastic hose inside so all that'sexposed is the rubber hose.

Apparently, being outside, even though protected, is more than the plastic can endure.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
My father in law has a 1984 Dodge Ram pickup with the same controls. I found one in a junk yard that worked fine. I also discovered a mid-line junction block for the vacumn lines that also needed replacing. It was falling apart and it wasn't even exposed to the sun --- was under the dash.

I suspect that any 1980's Dodge P/U will work for parts. Give it a try. They are still plentiful in the junk yards.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just wanted to mention that my heater control assembly has a small "Chrysler" logo moulded into the plastic. However after visiting two different Jeep/Chrysler dealers that couldn't identify the part number, a third dealer told me it was actually a "GM" part. I went to my local GMC dealer and sure enough they were able to look up the part. They wanted something like $220 for the assembly. My assembly was okay but had a broken mounting ear so instead I redrilled a new hole and remounted the unit with the help of a washer and some JB weld. Smiler

Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Mine also had a broken mounting ear, so I added another tab to the back of the unit using plastic solvent cement (my "custom blend" of MEK and acetone), redrilled it, and back in business.

BTW, a lot of the dash pieces are styrene or polystyrene, and can be fixed with a solvent cement. Mine had cracks around the screw holes in the panel that has the radio and heater controls as well as the deflectors for the windshield defrost. A dab of the solvent cured that.

I mix acetone and MEK because the acetone is very fast acting; the MEK takes a bit longer to cure. Hold the pieces to be joined together. Using a small and cheap artist's brush, brush on the solvent at the joint. Capilliary action will draw it into the joint and weld it. For larger joints, wet both pieces (MEK works better) and join, then brush more on the joint.

Solvent cement also works very well as a stress-reliever.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke