Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    460 Motor Mounts
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

460 Motor Mounts
 Login now/Join our community

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted
I took my Barth out on the road last week to give it a little exercise and heard a little rattle. Upon returning I found that the fan shroud was just hitting the fan blades when it got hot enough to engage the fan clutch.

Looking further I determined that the fan shroud had slightly elongated holes to adjust the shroud a little lower. mine was already as low as it would go.

Does anyone know what the part number for the motor mounts are? I tried to talk to our local Freightliner Dealer on Friday but they didn't seem interested in tracking it down for me.

I am trying not to remove them until I have a suitable replacement in hand. It seems that everytime I yank something out like this I have to reinstall it anyway. Any help with this from someone with a Oshkosh, John-Deere setup would be appreciated.

1991 33' Former mobile medical lab

------------------
http://www.truckroadservice.com/

[This message has been edited by Bill (edited May 22, 2005).]

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I don't know a lot about Fords, but it seems strange that a mount would cause the fan to hit the shroud only when things are hot. The fan should be turning hot or cold. It just turns faster when hot. Could there be some play in the fan shaft when it heats up?

The classic motor mount fan situation is the fan hits when the motor shifts in its loose or soft mounts. My favorite test for this is to hold the brake and rump the throttle as I watch the motor. I did this once with the hood open on a car and had my young son watch it for me. I couldn't see the motor, but the look on his face as he jusped back, startled, told me all I needed to know.

Another classic failure mode is the mounts get soft and the engine settles downward. Your lowered shroud would seem to indicate this, but I don't see how the temp could make a difference on the rubbing.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
When the motor gets hot the fan clutch locks up and then roars, at this point I can hear the fan lightly hitting the shroud. When I am just coasting along and let my foot off of the throttle I can just ever so slightly here it touching.

To confirm this I painted the bottom inside of the shroud with red paint, ran it and found the paint in one spot just scuffed in the lower part of the shroud. Ran it again until I heard the fan clutch lock up and saw even more scuffing.

To answer the question on why it would hit more with the fan locked up, I would suspect the added torsional load of the fan blades streching outward and straighter while trying to gulp in more air when it is locked up?

This falls under the air sucker theory. I can just here the post now...

------------------

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Bill,
I had the rear mount (on transmit ion) replaced at one point and Ford did it with no problem. My John Deere chassis information on the engine page says, "Other service parts for the engine are available through Ford Motor Company dealerships. Refer to Ford 1980/Light Truck F250/350 series"
I have found that the parts I have needed are from a 1986 Ford 460 Industrial engine.
Hope this helps. Good luck.

------------------
89 Barth Regal 32
Runs like a Deere
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
I'll try ordering Ford engine mounts from NAPA for an F350 2 wheel drive and see if that fits. At least with NAPA they will take it back if it doesn't.

Will post after fixing to let other people know what it was.

------------------

Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
Posted 24 May 2005 03:57 PM Hide Post
I'll try ordering Ford engine mounts from NAPA for an F350 2 wheel drive and see if that fits. At least with NAPA they will take it back if it doesn't.

>>>>>>>>>NEVER FIXED THIS?

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
My fix would be to cut off the shroud until it didn't hit anymore. That's why I'm in the building trade and not the mechanical trade!! Big Grin

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
Probably not, but worth checking: Bad bearings on the fan shaft.
Thought for the day:
"Now, listen, you don't go any one special place. That's cornball style. You just go."
-- Johnny in the movie The Wild One

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/09

Picture of Ray
posted Hide Post
quote:

Bill,
My motor mounts are on shot on my Ford 460 and I did not see a response to this post. Did the motor mounts from NAPA work on yours?

1990 28' Barth - John Deere/Oshkosh chassis with 460 Ford

Posts: 110 | Location: Ormond Beach, Florida | Member Since: 04-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray:
Did the motor mounts from NAPA work on yours?
No, they did not. I contacted Freightliner at 800-385-4357 and was given a part number. I called another vendor in Newburgh with that number and they crossed it over.

I don't remember what the number was. Sorry I didn't update this at the time like I said I would. If you get a good number, please correct my error. Red Face

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
I have the chassis book for my 89 'Deere' coach.

The transmition mount -
insulator - E5TZ-6068-K - Ford part.

Engine mount -
Insulator - D5UZ-6038E - Ford part.

Hope this helps

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ray
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the lead. I will post the part number once I figure this out.

Posts: 110 | Location: Ormond Beach, Florida | Member Since: 04-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post

Picture of Ray
posted Hide Post
Well NAPA did not recognize those part numbers, so looks like I will need to remove one to match it up.
Any tricks / short cuts / suggestions on replacing these Ford motor mounts.
Thanks
Ray

Picture of Ray
posted Hide Post
2 things.
Bill NY... You said you replaced your motor mounts. Not sure if you have headers but did you have to disconnect the exhaust when you jacked up the motor... Was there anything else that you had to disconnect.

Just wanted to record the part number for other Ford owners.
NAPA... 602-1629.

Thanks

Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray:
You said you replaced your motor mounts. Not sure if you have headers but did you have to disconnect the exhaust when you jacked up the motor...Was there anything else that you had to disconnect.
~Yes, I do have headers.
~No, I did not have to disconnect anything but my battery cables. I do this as a preventative measure.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message