Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Diesel Fuel
Page 1 2 3 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Diesel Fuel
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted
I follow others' suggestion to supplement my diesel fuel with 2 cycle/stroke oil that I purchase at Walmart for around $12/gal.. I use a ratio of 1qt./50 gallons of fuel.
Adding the supplement into the fuel tank was a pain, especially when the gallon container was near empty. Pictured is a nifty spout I also purchased at Walmart. The spout does not come with a cap. I found the cap from a 85/90w 1 qt. "rear end oil" container fit well. Just thought this may interest others. Take care.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Maybe Rusty can suggest a specific brand for lubricating Diesel Injection pumps. Maybe it does not matter what brand. I use Citgo Super guard Low Smoke. I can check the price I pay later.
Ted, How much per ounce did you pay for the 2 cycle oil you are adding?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
128 fl.oz./gal @ $12+/gal = 10 cents / oz. albeit "Old Math"

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Any 2-cycle oil will do. No benefit to the high-priced stuff like Quicksilver.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of rp's barth
posted Hide Post
What is the benefit of doing this? I have a ford 7.3 in a one ton truck.

Richard & Robin
s7809 2539 MC27 FP3

• 1979 27'
  • 454 Chevy
  • P-32 Chassis

Posts: 296 | Location: Deltona Flordia | Member Since: 08-18-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I added 2-cycle oil to my 6.9L E350 for ~12 years and 80,000 miles (since the intro of ULSD). Never an IP issue. Whether adding the oil helped, I don't know - but it can't hurt.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
We use Howes products, anti gel and Meaner Cleaner. You might want to put something in that addresses algae growth and water in fuel.
Detroit 60 series with 1,200,000 miles when sold, never injector problem.
Cummins 600 going at 800,000 miles now.
7.3 Ford 95,000 miles, no problems
And over the years a 5.9 Cummins, 3208 CAT and a 6V71
Keep on trucking Tooling Along

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
BTW no they (Thermoking) telling me to use that Diesel Kleen Cetane Boost. They say Howes clogs my Espar diesel fuel heater up in the burn chamber. Who knows. Only thing ever the piston broke in the Detroit at 999,946 miles, fuel pump went out when they got the new ULSD diesel years ago

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
Ford has a 6.0 diesel v8 engine that energizes the injectors with high pressure oil drawn from the engine sump. These tend to gum up without additives and the question to Rusty is: with the hundreds of additives available for diesel engines just what component are we looking for to protect and clean the internals of these type of engines?

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
PowerStroke engines' injectors have been an enigma since introduction. I'm speculating, but using synthetic oil and changing according to the "severe duty" sked might help. I'd also suggest using NAPA Gold (Wix) filters.

In any event, I'd avoid Mouse Milk...

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
Many tests have been done with the various additives and the worst one to use is Two Stroke. It reduces lubricity.
Stanadyne is one of the best.

The Super Tech in the above post IS a good additive for older diesels but not all 2-Stroke oils are created equal.

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Steve I was wondering when you were going to challenge this. I did post earlier that my VW mechanic added a quart of 2cycle to his recently acquired VW, before driving it home. It was about a 1000 mile trip. I am not really sure who to believe. hmm

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
I'll see if I can find the link to the test comparison.

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
A small amount makes up for the marginal lubricity of ULSD. I add about 4-6 oz/30 gals. I'd be amazed if a truly independent test proved damage.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
2-cycle oil is pretty much benign, since it's designed to be combusted. But there's no reason to overdo it. No more than a quart for a complete 100 gal fill up is plenty.

The addition is only to supplement the lube additives supposedly in ULSD.

For some reason I thought the ratio to add was A quart per 50 gallons of fuel. Only thing I dug up was the above. It was on this page.

I have been a diesel not since the early 80's. I used to add my used hydraulic oil to the VW and Mercedes a quart in 20 gallons when fuel had sulfur. I wish I still owned the old Mercedes turbo diesel. Some kind of lubrication is better than no lube at all. I have been using a quart per 50 gallons for 5 years now in my 3208TA Caterpillar engine.