Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    No Start on Dometic Kwyatt 7 Generator
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

No Start on Dometic Kwyatt 7 Generator
 Login now/Join our community

posted
When we got our 94 Breakaway, we were unable to get the propane powered Dometic Kwyatt 7 generator to run. The unit, although 10 years old, had less than 29 hours on the meter. We knew it had started and run the previous year but in spite of repeated long cranks under various temperature conditions, it refused to fire and run. The books that came with the unit referred to the typical gasoline fired applications and were of little help in diagnosing the propane powered unit’s problems. I called Dometic in an attempt to obtain a wiring diagram for our unit, only to learn that they no longer sell or support generator units. They referred me to an outfit in California (I’ve lost the name but the phone # is: 1-800-237-4318) who promptly faxed me a wiring schematic. The schematic allowed me to check out the wiring harness and determine that a couple of extra loose connectors were not needed in the propane application. Bottom line: no obvious electrical problems.
We next looked at the propane supply issues. We disconnected the propane line at the outlet to the 12 volt propane supply solenoid and determined that we had propane there when the gen. switches were in the crank mode. We then checked the outlet of the Beam vaporizer-regulator mounted near the solenoid (both on the firewall above the gen set). No gas was flowing out of the regulator. We took the unit apart and found it to be contaminated with a dark brown gummy substance that smells a lot like propane. We cleaned out the residue, reassembled the unit and tested again with the same result – no gas flow. I went to the internet to find out about Beam regulators and ended up talking to Alternate Fuels Technologies (www.ProPaneCarbs.com) where they shipped me a rebuild kit (T-60 Repair Kit @ $56.) consisting of new diaphragms and valves. I rebuilt the regulator, adjusted the output pressure per the detailed instructions, and reinstalled it in the Barth. After a few seconds cranking, the unit fired and ran, and appears to operate normally now.

Posts: 52 | Location: Staunton VA | Member Since: 01-27-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Don Scalzo
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your detailed solution to your problem, having the same genset I may oneday have the same problem. I am now dealing with the replacement of the fuel hose to the genset. I have the manual to the Dometic propane generator if interested ?

Posts: 196 | Location: Apollo Beach, Fl. USA | Member Since: 10-05-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Don. If it ever acts up again I'll contact you for help with the manual.
Stu

Posts: 52 | Location: Staunton VA | Member Since: 01-27-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Im having issues with mine.It starts but it doesn't run, what can be the cause of this problem? can anyone help? I already got t-60 kit but it still doesn't run. Could it be the 12 volt propane supply solenoid? What else can it be?

Posts: 1 | Location: bakersfield | Member Since: 01-28-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the Forums! The symptom could be the low oil or over temp sensors, or the pressure regulator. It's unlikely the sniffer solenoid if you get LPG to the reefer/furnace/stove.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i tried calling the number you poste. do you still have the wiring diagram. if so could you please call me 903-244-9512

Thank you Jerry Rubly

Posts: 2 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 05-31-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
quote:
1-800-237-4318

https://www.anyrvparts.com/

We were founded in 1977 by Robert Schwalm to sell and service Generac generator products. Over the years we have broadened our scope and we now stock both repair and service parts for a wide variety of products for Recreational Vehicles.

Featuring 14,000 plus part numbers and over 5,000 in-stock parts from more than fifteen suppliers; we are here to get you the parts you need; delivered quickly and priced right.

Our staff has wide and deep product knowledge with over 130 years of R.V. experience. Many of us have been the industry for over 20 years and three of us for over 30 years. So, old or new, chances are we know about your vehicle and we are willing and able to provide technical assistance and direction to one and all.

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ty can you call me? Everytime I call that number it just rings and the answering machine. My number is 903-244-9512. Thank you jerry

Posts: 2 | Location: Texas | Member Since: 05-31-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post