Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Tow Wiring
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Tow Wiring
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted
'92 Breakaway. Ordered a "6X10 cargo trailer" to pull. Ordered electric brakes which require a 7 pin connection. My breakaway has a 7 pin connection. 2 questions please: Does my all-stock Breakaway have a "brake controller" that would activate the electric brake function? And secondly, if no brake controller, will the 7 pin wire connection at least serve the lighting/brake lights?

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Originally posted by Pgh. Pirate: Kevin answers Ted in GREEN
'92 Breakaway. Ordered a "6X10 cargo trailer" to pull. I am sure glad you are not trying to push the trailer. Hence the name trailer . Ordered electric brakes which require a 7 pin connection. My breakaway has a 7 pin connection. 2 questions please: Does my all-stock Breakaway have a "brake controller" No Brake Controller. You would be the first that I know of with a factory brake controller. I do not know if your Barth would need electronic brake controller or air brake controller. that would activate the electric brake function? And secondly, if no brake controller, will the 7 pin wire connection at least serve the lighting/brake lights? Seven pin plugs have all the connections you need. Look up wireing diagram for trailer plugs.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kevin. I didn't think it had a controller. Nothing simple.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have a couple of thoughts on brake controllers for a Breakaway. Since I have an air operated brake actuator for toad normally do not need BUT most modern electronic trailer brake controllers do not have a connection to the hydraulic lines in the tow car. Do not think that one would care what type brakes the towing rig had. And there are some extra wires from the left front wiring compartment to the rear near the right tail lights, that could be used for brake signal. OR since most of us do not incur situations where we want or need or have the expertise to use the manual control lever, Why not install the controller in the passenger side rear near the tail lights and wire it up. Simple fast and at most would need to adjust it one time. john

Posts: 81 | Location: golden valley, az | Member Since: 02-05-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post