Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Generator question
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Generator question
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of chrisW
posted
Quick question on diesel gens –

I was ‘unmothballing’ the rig yesterday and everything was running well – I ran the gen for a while (10 minutes) with the A/C units on for load and the generator eventually dropped rpms and died – it will not restart.

The fuel cut solenoid is fine (new last year). The one question that keeps popping up in my mind - is there a point where the generator will not pick up fuel from the main tank? I am under 1/8 tank and maybe the original designers set the diesel fuel pick up for the generator up a bit so you could not drain your main diesel tank all the way with the generator.

Any thoughts?

1985 Regency 35'
8.2T Detriot Diesel / Allison
other toys - a bunch of old Porsches, a GT350 and a '65 mustang convertible.

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chrisW:
...is there a point where the generator will not pick up fuel from the main tank? I am under 1/8 tank...
Yep... that's the point. They make it so you can at least drive your coach to a fuel stop.

You'll need to reprime the fuel system.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chrisW:
is there a point where the generator will not pick up fuel from the main tank?

Usually.

quote:
I am under 1/8 tank

You are most likely below the above-mentioned point. It is usually around a quarter tank.

quote:
and maybe the original designers set the diesel fuel pick up for the generator up a bit so you could not drain your main diesel tank all the way with the generator.

Bingo!

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys - that’s what I figured. I will check with the bank on the current mortgage rates before filling the rig...

1985 Regency 35'

Posts: 164 | Location: Syracuse NY | Member Since: 07-03-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
You really shouldn't store your coach with so little fuel in the tank. I recommend a full tank with stabilizing conditioners before storing it next year.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of chrisW
posted Hide Post
Yeah, that was ‘one of those things’ that I was supposed to get done before winter, nearest good diesel station is 25 miles away… and then it was thanksgiving…and then it snowed early…and then it was Christmas…

And now it is spring.

I might say that I plan not to repeat that cycle next fall. But I will probably forget that by then!

1985 Regency 35'

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Vehicles that sit get water in the tanks. Light airplane pilots sump their tanks before every flight. Boat suppliers sell water separators.

My underneath filter is a Fram HPG1 with a bung welded in for a petcock to drain water. I get a little now and then, but less than in the past, as the alcohol they are adding to the fuel mixes with the water.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post