Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Need help debugging vent fan issue
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Need help debugging vent fan issue
 Login now/Join our community

"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted
I have two fantastic fans in the coach. The front unit, with rain sensor, will open but not run. The rear unit (rain sensor also, buy seems to be 'fancier') suddenly will neither open nor run (obviously will not run if not opened). Any suggestions on where to start looking for root causes to the problems?

Posts: 175 | Location: Edgewood, KY, USA | Member Since: 08-26-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fuses are always my first look.

Beyond that, dissasemble and use a test light to see if current is there.

I would bet a sticking switch is preventing current to the motor.

If they don't run when closed, that switch that prevents it is a good thing to look at first.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fuse might make sense on the rear unit. I'll check that next. However, for the front fan, I would assume that the same circuit is used for both the open motor and the fan motor. Since I have no experience with the unit, I do not know if that is true. These two motors do not operate at full load at the same time, so it would make sense to me that they would be on the same circuit.

So, to check the switches and gain access to the wiring, do these pop out with a screw driver (meaning just a snap in feature type of switch) or does the whole inside bezel need to come out first? If the bezel comes off first, then the open motor cover needs to come off before removing inside bezel (Screws extend to outer frame and not just to the bezel). Will that motor hang in place (hopefully due to some mechanical means holding it in place) or will it tend to drop straight out? Any guidence is appreciated before I start the adventure.

Now that I think about it, I need to examine the open motor cover bracket on the rear fan. If it has a crack, it might allow the motor to bind and overload, thus preventing opening.

Thanks.

Posts: 175 | Location: Edgewood, KY, USA | Member Since: 08-26-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post