Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Automatic transfer switch (generator/shore power)
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Automatic transfer switch (generator/shore power)
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Chris
posted
I have a 1998 34xl with a bad automatic transfer switch (generator/shore power). The mfg. of the switch is out of business, or, at least the phone number is not in service and, no, I have not searched the web for the company. Any suggestions for a replacement?

Chris Kennedy
1998 M-34XL
Spartin/Cummins 8.3L

Posts: 11 | Location: Carthage, NC | Member Since: 01-06-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Fortunately, they're plentiful, and replacing one isn't rocket science. Basically, they set the relay to shore power (if connected), and if not, default to the generator input. This means that if shore power is connected, you can run the generator, but it won't have the load.

It's a safety issue - one doesn't want to backfeed power into the power lines, in case a lineman is doing something, and as a safety measure for the owner - one can have the shore power connected, and work on the genset AC lines. This might sound risky, but if the relay fails, shore power is disconnected, and the genset is connected (assuming one doesn't mess with the genset AC lines while it's running... Big Grin )

Anyway, here's a source. This particular one is useful because it has a built-in time delay before connecting genset power, as it's best to give the generator a few minutes to warm up before loading it.

The bottom line is that any RV store will carry them, but they tend not to be cheap. Note that 50A systems have four main AC connections - "+"120VAC, "-"120VAC, Common, and Ground.

If you're not comfortable working with electricjuicity, having the dealer install it is wise.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
Thread Drift (??):
Note that 50A systems have four main AC connections - "+"120VAC, "-"120VAC, Common, and Ground.

Can you expand on this? My understanding is a 50 amp service is 220v, i.e., two 120 volt feeds (wires) from a 50amp double-pole (220 volt) breaker. What is the "-"120VAC line?

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
The cycles in the two 120VAC lines are 180 degrees out of phase, which provides a peak-to-peak across the two of 240VAC. Either 120VAC line to common is 120VAC.

The "+" and "-" are shorthand to distinguish that they aren't the same, and that they can't be connected to each other (for long, anyway).

Sorry if I caused confusion.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gunner
posted Hide Post
I have a 1998 34xl with a bad automatic transfer switch (generator/shore power). The mfg. of the switch is out of business, or, at least the phone number is not in service and, no, I have not searched the web for the company. Any suggestions for a replacement

My 97 is basically a twin to yours (I think). I have a MODEL PS-250 POWER SWITCH by Todd Engineering Sales Inc of Elkhart IN. The "switch" is simply two contactors linked inside the metal box. By disconnecting the wires (one set from the bottom, the other the top) from the two contactors and removing the entire box, you'll see generic items available from any electrical supplier. I haven't taken the box out, since it is in a corner of the compartment beneath the foot of my bed, but they appear to be Square D brand. Even if you're not up on electrijuicity it should be inexpensive to replace, since it is a "bolt-in".
Take a look: you may be able to do it yourself.
EDIT: "Inexpensive" is relative, of course; the contactors are probably $40-$50 each.

"You are what you drive" - Clint Eastwood

Posts: 474 | Location: Republic of Texas | Member Since: 12-31-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Todd PS245L transfer switch just quit transferring on my 1999 Winnebago Chieftain.The generator is working properly but will got go into the MH. Apparently the little time delay module inside the switch does not work and the bypass does not work either so looks like the little module's 12 volt power output is bad.
Anybody have a replacement suggestion besides a manual toggle switch on a 12 volt supply?

Posts: 1 | Location: Heart of Dixie | Member Since: 07-21-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a 1991 Breakaway, we were on tour with it when the transfer switch seemed to quit working.We're not sure of the location of the switch, or where to find a replacement.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Tom & Gloria Masters

Posts: 9 | Location: Santa Fe, NM | Member Since: 04-22-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
posted Hide Post
I removed my auto transfer switch and replaced it with a manual (2 50 amp double pole breakers with a safety bar attached) Very inexpensive and doesn't fail. Plus I gained space in the electric closet.

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Definitely NOT a good idea if you have a generator on line.

First if the generator is on line without switching, by switching on shore power without disconnecting the generator, will damage or destroy the generator.

Second, if running on the shore power, one forgets to shut off and disconnect BEFORE switching on generator, back feed could happen or worse, a massive overload to either the shore power line or generator can happen.

Anything that is manually operated is subject to "operator error".

If a double poll double throw manual 50 amp switch is used then it is OK because one can not connect to shore or generator at the same time. this is the only way a manual switching should be considered or done.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is exactly what I was talking about. It is impossible to have both engaged at the same time due to the toggle bar. Very safe but still manual.
It is designed for this purpose.

Posts: 126 | Location: New Bedford, Mass. | Member Since: 07-22-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Ed, the toggle bar is pivoted like a bellcrank - it disengages one while engaging the other.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gloria Masters:
We have a 1991 Breakaway, we were on tour with it when the transfer switch seemed to quit working.We're not sure of the location of the switch, or where to find a replacement.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Tom & Gloria Masters

It's typically in a steel enclosure near the 120VAC breaker panel. Here's the one I removed from my coach:

The replacement is a Parallax Power Supply model ATS301. The 50A model is ATS501

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shtym:
That is exactly what I was talking about. It is impossible to have both engaged at the same time due to the toggle bar. Very safe but still manual.
It is designed for this purpose.

OK I missed the " 2 50 amp double pole breakers" content. I call these double pole, double throw breakers. semantics Sorry

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No worries. Just wanted to clarify that I was also keeping safety first.