Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    need replacement fan
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

need replacement fan
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of dustyjeeper
posted

I did get this fan to barely run by hot wiring it. But it is toast. It measures 16" and I need a replacement. The wiring feeding it has no power so I'm sure a relay has gone somewhere. Id like to replace with a kit that has fan and wiring. The 454 belt driven fan is working fine. Any ideas on a good quality electric pusher fan?

1978 Barth 17' Cabin Fever
1997 Barth 23' 4 door Command Center

Posts: 505 | Location: LaSalle CO | Member Since: 12-05-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DougZ
posted Hide Post
I would check some of the Hot Rod sites. They make pullers, pushers and just about any volume you need. Also, don't forget Ebay.

W4JDZ

Posts: 567 | Location: Warrenton, N.C. | Member Since: 03-27-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
My rec is to put in the biggest fan you can.

A smaller fan will be a helper, of course, but a bigger fan can move enough air to allow you to finish a trip if the clutch fan goes. That happened to me. We were climbing Tejon Pass on a 90 degree day, and I noticed the clutch fan was not roaring. Kept an eye on the temp and kept going. Later, at home, I covered the radiator with newspaper to test the clutch fan, and it never kicked in. My big thermostat-controlled electric puller fan did the job all by itself. We didn't have the toad that trip, so I don't know how it would have done with the extra load, but I was glad we were able to continue.

The 93-95 Ford Taurus 3.8L elec fan is rated 3500-4500 CFM. Lincoln MKVIII with 3.8 engine and three wires on the fan, 93 to 98, approx. Low setting is 2500 cfm, high is 5000 rpm. 97 and 98 are best.

When I did my engine replacement, I did not know about these fans, so I installed (as a puller) the biggest fan I could find, a Perma Kool 19115, rated at 2950 CFM. I would have used the Lincoln fan if I had known about them, but the PC had served me well in other projects, as is still highly regarded in the hot rod community. There are Chinese copies.

If you want a good price on a fan to replace what you have, try Sherco Auto Supply Enter "FAN" in the search window.

BTW, those plastic thingies you stick through the radiator or condenser to mount the fan can wear through the tubes and cause a leak. DAMHIK.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post