Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Headers vs. manifolds 454
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Headers vs. manifolds 454
 Login now/Join our community

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted
We took care of the starboard exhaust leek with a new riser gasket. Now we seem to have a much smaller leak on the port side. Haven't really diagnosed it yet but those who know more than me think it's a cracked manifold, due to the higher pitch of the leak. Assuming this is the case, I can get a set of headers for about the cost of one manifold, and wonder if there are any reasons why I shouldn't. If it were a hot car or bad truck I would for sure, but I don't know about the heat distribution aspect of manifolds vs headers in a coach. BTW, the system is nearly new from where it's welded to the exhaust pipes leaving the mani's back, and I have a great fabricator here in town.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
Your engine will run cooler with headers and you will gain power. Your plug wires will cook if you don't have insulated boots or other shielding. I also wrapped the starter with a head shield. I fought 2 exhaust leaks with manifolds before I bought a set of headers. My recommendation is to use a copper gasket set instead of the composite one supplied with the headers (about $30 for the Summit Racing generic set).

------------------
Eddie Chevalier
'85 Barth Regal 28' P-30 454
'91 Honda Accord/'87 Yamaha YSR 50 Toads

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ed, I checked a little deeper and can only find a leak at the donut, so I'm going there first, but if it goes past that I'll keep your advice in mind. Did you have any problems with the oil filter being so close to the system? I can't believe the lines run right next to the header collector. I'll let you know how it comes out.

------------------
Dan & Suzy Z
'81 Euro 28

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
1st month member
posted Hide Post
I had no problems with the Hedman Hedders clearing the oil filter. Most people are running Thorleys. I would check with them on clearances. I bought Thermo-Tec heat resistant tape for the starter wires. I also bought 2 different starter heat shields- the stainless steel shield looks great, but the wiring jumble was almost impossible to put under the shield so I settled for a Thermo-Tec wrap. The starter and plug wires will benefit from heat protection even if you stick with the cast iron manifolds. Good luck

Posts: 328 | Location: Sovereign Republic of Texas-Beaumont | Member Since: 01-15-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
What gauge steel do we cut the heat shield for our '85 Regal 454? Bill NY sent us a template will the holes all line up? Do I have to remove anything other than where the holes are on the template

Our Starter has a steel? heat shield & we are going to buy a thermo tek blanket for it too. I had to unwrap the wires that went to the starter now I need to rewrap them. It had a white fabric tape on it which seemed to work pretty good except it had started to harden & crack in some places. It reminded me of the old white adhesive tape we used on bandages but was shiny. I will not be able to remove my starter to slip a sleeve over the wires so it would have to be a wrap of some sort.

Tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
I believe we have a new record for thread slumber.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Yes,
I knew the first thing anyone would say was you should do a search for this topic & see what you find. I did & didn't find exactly what I was looking for. ergo this awakening!

tere

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post