Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Steering stabilizer.
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Steering stabilizer.
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Klareellis
posted
1983 Regency. Mcc chassis. Wile hooking up a temp line to the generator to check its vitals, I noticed a "shock asorber" zip tied to the lp regulator to the generator. It appears to be a steering stabilizer. In the pic you can see the drag link next to the stabilizer. Any thoughts on mounting this thing correctly? Hard to stay focused on one task as so much correcting is in need.

Posts: 33 | Location: Iowa | Member Since: 11-25-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
It is very difficult to get perspective from this photo, it is so large we can only see a small section at a time.

This illustrates why we encourage posters to use the PhotoBucket service to link photos in the threads. In addition to using far less site data, the photos always come back the correct size for the page.

Kevin has been very helpful showing members how to post using PhotoBucket. There are instructions posted here:

https://www.barthmobile.com/eve...373998787#7373998787

That being said, PhotoBucket has been a mess lately. It has been very difficult to get the photos to appear on the site. I have posted hundreds of photos over the years and it is getting to be a nuisance.

Thanks for sharing, hopefully we can help.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
I have posted hundreds of photos over the years and it is getting to be a nuisance.

Thanks for sharing, hopefully we can help.

Getting to be???? Sorry I would love to post some pics but my stress level has been way to high from work. 3 1/2 more years.............

Ellis have you got something propped with the lp tank? Nice job making the photo down to size hopefully on Photobucket so it stays with us...

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Klareellis
posted Hide Post
My apologies for the super large pic. Dont know why is was so large. I talked with Kevin and he was able to resize the photo. I did have the tank propped up at one point. I was not getting any lp through the regulater. I'll have to jump 12volts to the regulator see if it opens. My efforts will be put towards getting house batt voltage to its perspective places. There was a broken wire going to the generator solenoid. Ill start with new connectors and see what that gets me.

Posts: 33 | Location: Iowa | Member Since: 11-25-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
I didn't see until you resized. The propane tank was the first thing that caught my eye(oh look a squirrel) Big Grin I see now you hooked to the generator. Laying the tank down are you getting liquid lp or is the safety valve going shut? My generator takes liquid to those regulators. Some others have said they had vapor that was regulated by the sniffer. Are you getting gas from your laying down tank?

Off topic. to your real question If I am orienting correctly the bar going vertical to the picture is the drag link steering bar? There would be a c clamp that would mount the plate seen at the end of the stabilizer to that bar.

You would have to believe there was some reason they removed. It wouldn't/shouldn't have broken off? You could try a c clamp? I suspect it was frozen or binding so someone unclamped it. You don't want restriction/seizing while you are driving.

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1384 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Klareellis:
My apologies for the super large pic. Dont know why is was so large. I talked with Kevin and he was able to resize the photo. I did have the tank propped up at one point. I was not getting any lp through the regulater. I'll have to jump 12volts to the regulator see if it opens. My efforts will be put towards getting house batt voltage to its perspective places. There was a broken wire going to the generator solenoid. Ill start with new connectors and see what that gets me.

Thanks for the prompt attention to the photo! Thumbs Up (I did not mean to complain and it seems that you and Kevin worked out the PB and sizing issue) Otherwise a good photo, good perspective and focus. Hopefully PB is going to be more useful soon.

It looks like the angle plate on the end of the stabilizer has holes that would perhaps U-bolt to the drag link? As Dana suggested it may have siezed and was removed to prevent binding.

Perhaps the other RPI chassis owners can help with a replacement. It is just a shock absorber basically, if you can determine the length when fully extended and when collapsed, as well as the diameter of the end bolts it should be able to be cross referenced.

The 12V system usually has a chassis battery set which routes through a disconnect then to the 12V breaker panel. Check for 12V at the breaker panel and work back from there to the batteries. Sorry for the vague reply but I have no direct experience with your chassis.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Klareellis
posted Hide Post
SQUIRREL!!!
Indeed! The project started with getting the generator running. First by tracing the lp lines while laying under the coach. Second, noticing the condition the wiring harness is in. Wires wrapped around wires. Broken loom mounts, hanging and sagging all about. Third, the steering stabilizer and why is it unhooked.
There isnt any indication or marks on the drag link suggesting where the stabiluzer may have been hooked up. I never thought it was removed because of binding, only "why isnt this mounte properly". So, I would have hooked it up and probably ended up in a ditch.

https://www.amazon.com/Safe-T-...a-599601202964&psc=1

Im thinking of going with this one from amazon.

Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
That looks like it would work, but seems rather pricey!

When it comes to old wiring, many times I have found it more efficient to start over with new wires. By the time I chase down the old stuff, splice several places, etc it is often quicker and lasts longer when replaced with new wire that is not so brittle.

Good luck!

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Hi, fellow Iowan, what is the opposite end of the shock hooked up to? If it has to do with moving suspension, it is the shock absorber for that suspension piece, if it is solidly mounted then it hooks to some moving part. I am guessing but That's how I would approach it. Looks like from the corrosion it has been disconnected for a long time.

I replaced the steering stabilizer on my Nose it was only like $80. It was Monroe though.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
It hooks up to the tie rod with a U-bolt.

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
So probably the end in the picture needs to go to a solid mount somewhere, should have the bolt pattern like the bracket, I would get a new one, as Steve said measure the travel and find a similar one, should be a lot cheaper. It has probably been swung a distance either left or right of the picture. Hope you can find the attachment point.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Klareellis:
SQUIRREL!!!
Third, the steering stabilizer and why is it unhooked.
There isnt any indication or marks on the drag link suggesting where the stabiluzer may have been hooked up. I never thought it was removed because of binding, only "why isnt this mounte properly". So, I would have hooked it up and probably ended up in a ditch.

https://www.amazon.com/Safe-T-...a-599601202964&psc=1

Im thinking of going with this one from amazon.

The stabilizer is the one recommended by our own BillyT. I know he has tried multiple and this is his current recommendation. Check with him if you want to help suppot another member. I know it is what is on Midnight but has leaked and needs replacement. It is on the list of do's.

Dana & Lynn
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
That is a heck of a lot of money for what appears to be simply a shock absorber.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
I am with you Duane, I was going to put something similar on the old Barth Regency, but,
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
That is a heck of a lot of money for what appears to be simply a shock absorber.
My 1987 Ford F350 dump has a shock on the steering system. It does prevent the death wobble. It was about $60.00.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
I am with you Duane, I was going to put something similar on the old Barth Regency, but,
quote:
Originally posted by Duane88:
My 1987 Ford F350 dump has a shock on the steering system. It does prevent the death wobble. It was about $60.00.

I think I said before I put a Monroe shock on my Nose steering it was top of the line $80..Steve would have gotten one for his VW van for two bits..lol

P30 chassis
350 engine