Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Remind me again. Why do we carry tools and Spare Parts
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Remind me again. Why do we carry tools and Spare Parts
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Braley
posted Hide Post
This is what I get every time I've tried to access the site today:

404 - File or directory not found.
The resource you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

First I thought maybe there were so many hits after your post that they were just busy. Now I'm not sure. I'm not in need of any parts at the moment but thought I'd get the card, just in case. Has anyone else been successful getting a card today?

Posts: 42 | Location: Milan, OH | Member Since: 07-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/17
Picture of Lou
posted Hide Post

Posts: 467 | Location: Allegan, MI. | Member Since: 08-14-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
I went through five breakdowns on the Interstate several years ago including service in a CAT Dealer who measured and used NAPA and other belts on my 3208T. Finally I called Rick Dominguez at Gillig and he told me that the Gillig arrangement of the hydraulic pump required a special belt that was slightly longer and had a different angle and that they had problems with SOME engines throwing belts. Mine started after I had the belts changed "just to be safe"! Since buying two sets I have never had a single issue of belts. I recommend using only the Gillig belts shown in the Gillig Motorhome Manual.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1515 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nick Cagle:
The belts pictured earlier are NAPA's premium line. They are manufactured by Gates Rubber Co.

NAPA premium line belts have been very good for me. Had one failure with their budget line belt that was installed without my consent or knowledge.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/17
Picture of Richard_Muise
posted Hide Post
Nick,

Are those spare parts for us of the motorhomes?

R.P.Muise 1994 Breakaway/Cummins 5.9/Allison transmission/Spartan Chassis

Posts: 662 | Location: Hampden, Massachusetts | Member Since: 10-13-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Gates ""Green Stripe" came with my Barth from the previous owner. The belts that I currently have on my coach now are Thermoid belts. I purchased them at Youngstown Rubber Products, in Youngstown, Ohio.

Belt tension is the key.

Left to me by the previous owner was a belt tensioner. It is a simple device for checking belt tension. Get one. Like the topic, Why do we carry tools and spare parts?

It is also important when installing new belts, and tighten them again. At least once, but sometimes 3, or 4 times. With the belt tensioner you can check tension. Check tension with the engine off before any new adjustments are made.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
While I was on this mission I noticed I was not maintaining air system pressure at traffic lights. Air would build while rolling and drop off at traffic lights.
I was not sure to post here or on Keith Hoppers topic of belts, but the post is here.
It did take me about two hours, to change the FIVE belts. I was at the campground near Shipshewana, Indiana. The belts were shiny and I considered to tighten them. It was cool and in the shade so I decided for the complete change. I stocked the belts in the basement 8 years ago. It was quiet and there was no traffic motoring by. The belt change got me home safely with out incident.
I will do a tension check, but I cannot remember the tension number from the Krikit belt tension tool. If anyone recalls the numbers for the 3208 Caterpillar belts tension adjustment, please post it here again.
I also think 20,000 miles is pretty good life from the set of belts. If I recall correctly when I changed the belts it was over 20, 000 miles ago and about 8 years ago.
Barth owners carry tools to keep operating costs down. Richard, we also carry tools for other folks that do not carry the right tools

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post