Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Dash Air on Breakaway
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Dash Air on Breakaway
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted
Our dash air still works, sorta. I was going to put in a larger condenser and started to remove the current one. This is the one mounted behind the left rear wheel. Gave up on the removal for now. But did remove the metal shield in front of the condenser because it appeared to be hindering air flow and I was right. The AC puts out a lot more cool air now. Now to search for the minor leak.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Gary,

I have a '91 Breakaway and the dash air is hardly cool at all. I was noticing that the fans on the condenser don't spin at all so thinking maybe a electrical problem but have not had time to check it out. Do your fans spin?

Cheers
John

1991 28' Breakaway
5.9L 6B5.9 Cummins, Allison
Spartan chassis

Posts: 17 | Location: Hilo HI | Member Since: 03-26-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
On my GM-inspired Breakaway, the fan connection is on the hi-lo switch on the accumulator in the front genset compartment. Also connected is the hot wire from the dashboard switch.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/11
Picture of Jim & Barb
posted Hide Post
Gary,

I had a slow AC leak on my 1985 Regency, after taking it in several times, the AC guy said the Freon was leaking out through the aging hoses that ran from the rear of the Barth to the front.

Might want to check that out, he used some type of dye to find it.

Jim

Posts: 457 | Location: Port Charlotte Florida USA | Member Since: 06-08-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim. I have kinda suspected the hoses, but hoping not. When I get back to Yuma one of the projects is to really look for the leak.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
I have the same issue with my Regency. It was charged up and it didn't last.
Cooling fans on the condenser work fine,the compressor is operating but no cold air.
I'm surprised there is not a pressure switch to prevent the compressor from coming on with no Freon and ruining it.

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
pressure switch to prevent the compressor from coming on

There is a pressure switch Steve. The switch ix on the receiver dryer. My receiver dryer is in the front near the generator.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kevin. I'll have a look but if there was a switch the compressor should not come on with low freon.

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
The low pressure switch might be by-passed from the last service and never plugged back into the receiver dryer.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
just bought 92 breakaway no switches on dash for heat or air just bundles of wires HELP can't find blower motors either steering problems also but would like to get things fixed before I climb under to hard to get up. see ya in hillsboro in Dec Thanks Bill

Posts: 6 | Location: Cocoa Fl. 32927 | Member Since: 08-08-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post