Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Breakaway Windshield Glass
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Breakaway Windshield Glass
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted
Unsuccessfully looked for a recently posted thread where the member expressed concern about the possible difficulty finding DW730 and DW731 windshield glass replacement.

I have a local (Pittsburgh area) community glass shop who purportedly has arranged to have both shipped. Total price 650-$700, including shipping, don't remember exactly. Price did not include installation in that I do not care to have them installed now.

I asked him if he could arrange sales to other areas in the country. He said probably. Once my sale is completed and I confirm he's interested in other sales I will post his contact information.

He was not able to find the windshield rubber replacement. If anyone knows a source, please inform. Thanks.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I had no problem in replacing the PPG windshields (DW 730/731)

The difficulties are with the older Barth windshields.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
quote:

As with Rusty, I have had no problem getting 730/731 windshields. Any glass shop can get them for far less than the above quoted price.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Is the rubber extrusion that holds the glass in the frame available and where?

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Duane, search our site. I do remember a member posting the replacement rubber for a Barth.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Most of the posts suggest the extrusion is a standard product from about any auto window glass installer. I am curious why most folks try to repair the leaks. rather than have someone replace the extrusion?

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
Duane, MY guess is better try to stop a leak, rather than take the chance at breaking the windshield. On the other hand I agree install a new gasket if you are installing a NEW windshield.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
try here:

http://kottoautoglass.com/

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
$562, incl. tax, delivered to my driveway. I consider the total price for both windshields reasonable, notwithstanding the difficulty to acquire.

In regards to the rubber extrusion/seal, he could not identify a specific listing. He anticipates this not to be a future problem in that "90 percent of the original seals adequate to receive replacement glass", and that "universal" rubber seal extrusion is readably available.

I stand by my recommendation for those of us who foresee "Barthing" for twenty or so years, good Lord willing (with this site not unreasonable) that you consider shelving a couple of these. Just read the war stories of earlier Barth models owners. At least the windshields market value appreciation may well be pleasing to your survivors.

'92 Breakaway
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
try "LeakStop" spray to seal all your window rubber and/or various holes

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pgh. Pirate:
$562, incl. tax, delivered to my driveway. I consider the total price for both windshields reasonable, notwithstanding the difficulty to acquire.

In regards to the rubber extrusion/seal, he could not identify a specific listing. He anticipates this not to be a future problem in that "90 percent of the original seals adequate to receive replacement glass", and that "universal" rubber seal extrusion is readably available.

I stand by my recommendation for those of us who foresee "Barthing" for twenty or so years, good Lord willing (with this site not unreasonable) that you consider shelving a couple of these. Just read the war stories of earlier Barth models owners. At least the windshields market value appreciation may well be pleasing to your survivors.

Sounds like a reasonable price. Where did you finally get them?

I agree: I have a spare DW730 already, will chase down a 731 soon. I also have a rubber extrusion I got from the PO, unfortunately no source info with it.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
quote:
I asked him if he could arrange sales to other areas in the country. He said probably. Once my sale is completed and I confirm he's interested in other sales I will post his contact information.

Each windshield was $170 and total shipping was $222, cash deal. I believe he told me he could arrange to have shipped elsewhere so long as it was another glass shop. The business contact info. is: Community Glass Service, Pittsburgh, PA, (412)653-0656. Apparently a husband (Bill)and wife operation.

'92 Breakaway
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
Thanks for contact info. I got my windshield from a local glass co but for some reason they could only get the pass side. Paid about $200 out the door (about 4 years ago) I should chase down the other one fo these days.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post