Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Headlight Switch - Help Identifying
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Headlight Switch - Help Identifying
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted
The smell of hot something alerted me to the headlight switch's burning out. The top contact heated enough to fuse the plug's plastic to the contact and to release it from the switch.

My guess is that one of the contacts wasn't making a clean connection.

The only marks are "Delco-Remy" and a partial part number, 285N15x (1, A, or 7?)

I haven't been able to locate anything like it on the 'net; any suggestions would be appreciated! Click

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post

Firebird, mid '80s to early '90s?

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
As a side note, this (burned switch) is common on RVs or tow vehicles with a high light current draw.

Mine came with a Delco truck switch, but it ran warm. It had some voltage drop, but I can't remember exactly how much.

When I replaced it, I wired in a Bosch relay to take the load off the switch. I was rewarded with brighter lights, especially on the toad.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I haven't been able to locate anything like it on the 'net; any suggestions would be appreciated! Click

Try

http://www.autopartswarehouse....dlights+%26+Lighting

Mike
1995 Country Coach Magna,
Cummins C8.3-300, Banks Stinger, Gillig Chassis,
PowerTech gen w/Kubota 3-cyl,
2005 Wrangler pusher,
"Diesels gather momentum not accelerate"

Posts: 142 | Location: Garden Grove, CA | Member Since: 06-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks to both of you! Relative, that's it! I'd like to chase down the corresponding plug - do you know what that switch goes to?

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Search for 1995406 or D1590D for prices from other sources.

Mike
2005 Wrangler pusher,

Posts: 142 | Location: Garden Grove, CA | Member Since: 06-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
do you know what that switch goes to?

Very common switch in the '90s on vans / bread trucks (P3x chassis). You can probably stop by your local NAPA store and pick up the switch and the connector.

Mike
2005 Wrangler pusher,

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mike! I hadn't had a chance to get to a parts store yet

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
What did you do for a living? You know a lot about a lot?I respect your knowledge that is all I have to say about that.Has anybody thought about changing to led lighting on their coach?there would be less heat on the wiring
lenny
PS I HATE RED WIRES

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Thanks to Nick, who chauffered me to NAPA while I was at Cagle's RV Park and Wine Emporium, I got the replacement switch ($35) and the replacement connector ($38!). I then hooked the switch up loose and measured temps (with an IR thermometer) - they climbed past 150°F!

So I sneaked a session on Nick's drill press and drilled cooling holes in the case, installed the switch, and it stabilized at a useable-but-still-too-warm 127°F.

This switch, common in '80s-'90s Buick Centuries, wasn't designed to take the current for nav and extra marker lights.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
This switch, common in '80s-'90s Buick Centuries, wasn't designed to take the current for nav and extra marker lights.
You could always add in a 5 pole relay to relieve some of the amp load.

Here is the link to a tutorial I did earlier on a 5 pole relay setup. You might remember them... Electrical Troubleshooting Challenge or this tutorial Headlamp relays

I would also disconnect the Electrical Bulkhead Connector and push out the terminal to clean up the male and female plug connector. You will need to use a paperclip behind the terminals to allow you to push the wires out. Reconnect with a little dab of dielectric grease.

You might have a shorting condition or you might have an issue with a light fixture that is drawing too many amps. Check the lights at night to see which ones look dim or which section looks dimmer than the others to see where to start your search.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
I then hooked the switch up loose and measured temps (with an IR thermometer) - they climbed past 150°F!

OMG! That's hot. What is the amp draw in both high beam, low beam and park positions?

quote:

So I sneaked a session on Nick's drill press and drilled cooling holes in the case, installed the switch, and it stabilized at a useable-but-still-too-warm 127°F.

Nest step is a little cooling fan back there. Perhaps with a dedicated duct. In the '60s, the King KX150B aircraft radios ran so hot that there was a retrofit 100 mph ram air cooling duct to keep them cool. Nifty little units, though.

quote:

I wonder why they put it on P30 box vans and motor home chassis. Surely they had to realize how many of their trucks towed big boats, race car trailers, horse trailers and RV trailers with big lighting draws. What were they thinking?

My earlier P30 has an under-capacity switch, too. I didn't measure the temp, but it was too warm, so high, low and park/tail/clearance circuits each have their own relay now. No relay in the brake light circuit yet, but perhaps a little meter reading should be considered.

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I was grubbing around my auto-electrical parts box today for a relay and socket...I have several.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/09
Picture of Stratosurfer
posted Hide Post
Rusty,
I had the GM push pull switch in my coach with the twist to dim that burnt out on me (at night naturally).
I told my mech I wanted him to replace the GM switch with toggles but he said the dimmer function would be a mess to wire in on the Headlights/Running light circuits: so I stayed with the OEM switch.
My mech wired in a relay as has been mentioned on this thread, and it really works outstanding now. Lights very bright and a feeling of satisfaction that the main current powering the lights is flowing through the relay, not those small connectors on the headlight switch: Ahhh...

Makes you wonder why they ever designed all that current to go directly through the headlight switch. And of course: it was a money saver...

1990 Regency 32 Center Aisle Spartan Chassis CTA8.3 Cummins 240HP 4 spd Allison 7.5 Diesel Genset Pac-brake Prosine 2000 Mickey's on the Rear Toyos front

Posts: 131 | Location: Brady, The Republic of Texas | Member Since: 01-13-2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
OMG! That's hot. What is the amp draw in both high beam, low beam and park positions?

117°F high, 105°F low - above post was a typo.

Strato, the dimmer switch is separate on my coach.

I'm going to wire the nav and headlights on separate relays, and leave the dash lights as-is.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke