Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    5.9 Cummins Alternator part number
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

5.9 Cummins Alternator part number
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted
No it is not for me, but someone asked me to look on here to see if there are any part numbers for an alternator on the 5.9 Cummings. I did some searches already without success. If you had an alternator put in on your Cummins, please check your repair bill and post the part number here.

Computer

This is it, but the numbers are not legible.

Any ideas here what alternator this is?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
It appears to be a standard "J - Mount" alternator. But sometimes, these alternator also has a tachometer wire that would send a pulse out to your gage cluster.

I'm thinking Ed (Mwrench) might know

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
To be clear, all Barths are different! Yes this is a standard "J" mount, probably 90 amp two wire alternator. It is identical to the one I removed from my 230 HP 5.9L Cummins. I no longer have the part number for the original as I replaced mine with a 200 amp alternator 22SI mount. That required changing the mounting bracket, belt tensioner, belt and pulley

At the time, my local auto electrical supply house had the exact replacement. Care should be taken to to use all the pulley shims (if any) so that belt alignment would be correct after replacement.

As far as I know, no tach connection was made to the alternator used on the 5.9L Cummins.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
This alternator number, is from the member Evan & Holly who was at the NAPA Store. The alternator appears to be from a Freightliner. After looking at several alternator books this is what Evan has discovered.

Wilson Model # 90-01-4270N 12 Volt 145 amp.

It should be easy to find in the archives for the next member having alternator trouble or just replacing from old age.

Thanks to the help of the members, and also the members that I called, Evan has told me to post his happiness of finding the alternator.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
I have found, the best way to find a part number for Cummins parts, is to call Cummins, give them your serial number off the motor, and they will tell you exactly which part was used on YOUR motor. I just purchased a new belt tensioner from Cummins. I was going to buy it from NAPA but they were about $60.00 higher than Cummins. So when I need parts, the first thing I do is call Cummins, ask for price and availability and go from there.
Good Luck.
ken

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/22
Picture of Dana
posted Hide Post
quote:
90-01-4270N

Exactly

Left with the boat and no power from the alternator. head bang At 4am there are no parts stores open. Went and took a nap after pulling off the old one. When they opened at 7am took the old and they determined this number. I then showed them and compared. Same

Notable it came clocked 180 from what mine needed. head bang Oh they had to order it also. Came at 1pm. head bang Sent to the truck shop to clock. They had a tough time getting the serpentine pulley off. head bang On the road a 3pm to the lake at 10:30 pm.

I believe Rusty said he carries a spare. head bang I bet I will now. Now adding my 110 impact wrench also........

Dana & Lynn
1997 38ft Monarch front entry
Spartan Mountain Master Chassis
Cummins 8.3 325hp
Allison MD-3060 6 speed
22.5 11R
Cummins Factory Exhaust Brake
8000 watt Quiet Diesel Generator
9608-M0022-38MI-4C
Christened Midnight

1972 22ft
Christened Camp Barth

Posts: 1383 | Location: Waseca, Minnesota | Member Since: 12-09-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
I have a 90amp Delco. Had it rebuilt a number years ago. They told me when I picked up they could have make a 130 amp out of it. Oh well, I have never needed more.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post