Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Generator runs but will not power on.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Generator runs but will not power on.
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Frank Strong
posted
I have a Kubota/Onan gen set that suddenly will not click on or power up. It starts and runs fine but will not provide 110 volts. It used to click on after running few seconds. I do unplug the wall service before starting. Could it be a bad relay somewhere?
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
300 HP Cummins, 6 spd Allison
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
My guess is your auto transfer switch is not working. You should be able to follow the shore line or the genn. output wiring to find it. Just some advice, make sure the ac are off when starting generator on or going back to shore power. This prevent the high load across the contacts. Same applies to manual transfer switches. Not cheap to replace.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Likely it is the transfer switch . However , it could be an output problem on the generator . The transfer switch has to detect ac voltage from the generator to switch over .

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the feed back!
I have discovered that the main generator breaker(up front near the genny)had been tripped off. So now I have 110 in the house from the gen but the AC still doesn't work. It clicks at the thermostat but main unit never comes on. Haven't chased this one down yet but it could be the ats switch you guys suspected.
I checked the main breaker after some one mentioned it in an old thread.
Thanks again for the help and I'll keep you posted on the AC.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
Spartan MM Chassis

Posts: 125 | Location: Walthall, MS/Ocoee, FL (Orlando area) | Member Since: 03-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have 110 on each leg in your breaker box inside the coach , then your ats is good. Check the ac breaker . It's possible the ac kicked the generator breaker for some reason.

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Frank, when you say you have AC in the house, that means you have AC in the coach right?

Are both A/C units non functioning? I had issues with my A/C units when the STUPID AC junctions to the A/C failed and opened up.

You should have A/C breakers one for each unit somewhere, mine were at the foot of the bed in the electrical breaker panel.

I think I have a post about those line connectors,

Scroll thru picture is toward the end of the post

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Frank Strong
posted Hide Post
The A.C. is working now. The A.C. circuit breaker at the foot of the bed had kicked off.
So something made two circuit breakers kick off. The main generator and the a.c.. But what?
This happened while the rv is resting in my shop. I start the big motor and the genny about once a month just to keep the bio diesel from gumming the injector pumps and this suddenly showed up. Sometimes I forget to unplug the shop 110 when start the genny. One time I tried running the a.c. on the shop 30 amp service, which didn't work. Maybe that's what did it?
Anyway, it's working now.
Thanks again for your responses.

Frank Strong
1994 Regency 34ft
Spartan MM Chassis

posted Hide Post
Great to hear all is working . It was probably a Gremlin Shields Up

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW