Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Can someone explain the chassis/coach disconnect switches.
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Can someone explain the chassis/coach disconnect switches.
 Login now/Join our community

posted
They are in a lower compartment of my 85. I noticed when one is in a certain position, the engine wont start.

I'm assuming the coach battery is for the lights and electrical inside, and the chassis battery is for the engin, and maybe the outside marker lights?

Posts: 8 | Location: WI | Member Since: 08-10-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Also, next to the brake pedal, on the floor by the driver seat is a small round "pedal" that you can push down with your foot, then further to the left is some kind of air gauage. Any idea what the floor pedal is for? It just sticks out of the floor.

Posts: 8 | Location: WI | Member Since: 08-10-2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/12
Picture of Tool Man T
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BriGuy:
[Also, next to the brake pedal, on the floor by the driver seat is a small round "pedal" that you can push down with your foot,] then further to the left is some kind of air gauage. Any idea what the floor pedal is for? It just sticks out of the floor.
Do you know if you have gearvendor on your trans? Switch maybe for that.

Joel Taylor

Posts: 164 | Location: South Carolina | Member Since: 05-12-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
I wonder is that a dimmer switch for the head lights, does it click when you push it if so check the headlights.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2042 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BriGuy:
They are in a lower compartment of my 85. I noticed when one is in a certain position, the engine wont start.

I'm assuming the coach battery is for the lights and electrical inside, and the chassis battery is for the engin, and maybe the outside marker lights?

There is great variation in the wiring of these coaches, but the disconnect switches (or remote disconnect relays) attempt to isolate the two battery banks from discharge while being stored.

As you suggest, the chassis battery is used for starting and all exterior running lights. Isolating it will prevent starting. IMHO this is usually not needed since the chassis does not usually have much current drain and will hold charge for some time.

The coach batteries are used for all accessory power. Interior lighting, pumps, fans, etc. Often there are devices with clocks, etc which will drain the battery. A master switch can help avoid deep discharge of the coach batteries over time. However, if you have any solar panels charging the batteries, they must be connected ahead of the disconnect switch or no charging will occur.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post