Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Vent
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Vent
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
This vent is under the dash in front of the passenger seat. It has a hinge on it but doesn't have a way to open unless it is pushed on. Unless the fresh air comes up & somehow opens it. Anyone know how it works?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
That looks a lot like the vent in my 86. On my coach, the heating/cooling system is (supposed to be) controlled by vacuum.

When I got the Barth, the dash air didn't work and the vents had vacuum leaks all over. I never cared to fix the AC so I still haven't done much with it. I disconnected the main vacuum source to stop the leak. This left all vents open all the time on my coach.

Meanwhile, the vent you describe blows fresh air whether I want it to or not. I still haven't diagnosed or studied the system very well. I use a couple rags to block the front airbox opening when it is cold outside. If I apply a constant vacuum to the vent hose, the vent will close, with no vacuum it is constantly open.

I plan to use a vacuum source to identify which vacuum hoses open which vents and eventually get the panel controls working again.

Unfortunately, I have found very little info on the GM vacuum driven climate controls. I will share what I can find.

Meanwhile, if you have the vacuum driven system, check the vacuum hoses going into the heater box area. They may be causing problems if they leak. Nearly every hose I checked had cracks and/or leaks. mechanic

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5173 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post