Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Clear Coat Renewal
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Clear Coat Renewal
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted
Anyone have experience sanding and reclearing the clearcoat finish on a motorhome? I had it done on a Volvo and it turned out great.

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone have experience sanding and reclearing the clearcoat finish on a motorhome? I had it done on a Volvo and it turned out great.

https://www.doityourselfrv.com...ation-2-simple-ways/

https://www.yourmechanic.com/a...-coat-by-mark-vallet

https://meguiarsonline.com/for...ailure-Photo-Archive

http://www.rvtruckclearcoating...rv-clearcoating.html

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2584 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
Are we talking a metallic base color?
If so it cannot be sanded without ruining the base layer.
Its best to re-paint once the clear has failed.
Do it in sections as needed.

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
This is a case of a full body paint with clear coat that has started to flake off in some areas. Stripping and full repainting is not an option. I've seen some utube videos of sanding the affected area down, feathering in to the clear coat that is still good and respraying the entire area. Wondered if anyone had experience with doing this.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
I have the same problem on the roof of my coach. On the front, back and sides the rounded corners are losing the top clear coat. I was hoping to be able to reapply a clear coat there. I have not researched the topic much. Advice would be helpful.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5159 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Go talk with a paint guy in a body shop. My thought would be you could either wet sand using 325 or greater to remove the old and feather into the good as well as prepping the bare area. A fine rubbing compound may be preferred. When spraying feather into the good areas and be ready to wipe off and restart the area if things don't look right. I would guess any long runs such as a side would need to nearly run the full length to not have obvious changes.
Perfection is the enemy of the good. Does it look okay from 30', 20' or 10', what's your criteria?

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
The clear coat on the front was blistering and peeling. I let it do it for a couple of years and then took the pressure washer to it and peeled off the clearcoat.

I have an old electric washer of about 1500 psi. I've been told a 3000psi really works well.

Lots of clear coat down here in the desert is peeling on lots of vehicles.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Did you put new clear coat on it?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

posted Hide Post
YUP

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1183 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Rattle can?

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B

posted Hide Post
Nope. Paint gun.

5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance