Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Converter Size?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Converter Size?
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of Pirate19
posted
My Breakaway's (with two roof air) original converter should be replaced. According to sales literature, the original is 75 amps. My reading of posts leads me to believe the Progressive Dynamics line is recommended. PD does not offer a 75 amp, but do offer a 70 amp (PD9270V). Adequate? And is this a "plug and play" install. Not an "electrical guy". nono
Thank you.

'92 Breakaway
Cummins 190hp, No Modifications
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
70 amp will be plenty . What is the make and model number of the one you have now ?

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
No apparent markings, probably would be with removal. With the risk of thread drift, I apologize for the picture orientation - I'm all confused.

'92 Breakaway
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Posts: 384 | Location: USA | Member Since: 11-07-2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
70 amp should be plenty. I put a 60 amp PD in my Monarch, seems to be fine. I had a 40 in the Regal and I have a 40 amp at my deer camp. All satisfactory.

Should be plug and play. Connect 12V + and - then plug in the 110AC. Thumbs Up

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5168 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with everything Mr Steve said Smiler

Our BMC had two 45 amp converters. One for the coach batteries and one for the house batteries. Personally , i like having two converters to maintain the separate battery banks . The alternator charged both banks through an isolator ....worked great.

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
Thank you gentlemen. Time to spend some money. Wish I had done so before I fried two domestic batteries a year ago. Additionally, the "cleaner" DC will probably be kinder to my appliances. All of Life should be so simple. If I could only remember if Red is positive - certainly wasn't in my dating days. Red heads, whew!

'92 Breakaway
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
Not exactly sure what you mean by converter. If you are talking about the old style where the converter supplied 12vdc and charged the house battery, then throw it away. I have a marine smart charger that charges two battery banks. All 12vdc is supplied by the batteries. That includes house 12vdc. I have a separate 2000 watt pure sign inverter.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
My understanding is that my coach does not have an inverter. My coach has remained as originally delivered. I do use a couple of small portable inverters to supply power to each of the two 120v DVD players - used for the two TV's.

My understanding is that my original converter is basically a batter charger designed to keep the two domestic batteries charged as they are demanded upon. Because of the early era I presume it is a single stage charger of roughly 13.5v. Without being intelligent, whenever 120v shore power is connected the converter is charging and beyond a few hours the batteries become over charged. The result was my former batteries' casings literally distorted.

I am looking for a converter that monitors the state of charge of my new batteries and charges them accordingly. Most importantly, having the float stage for moderate charging and a maintenance stage for when no up charging is necessary.

Does this answer your question Gary?

'92 Breakaway
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/11
Picture of Tom  and Julie
posted Hide Post
There is no advantage to over sizing the converter. The limit is the source of your AC power, and in our coaches that is either a 30 amp service when you have one ac or 50 amp if you have two. The converter will not make more power than the input so if you have a 50 amp plug then 60 amps is enough as you should not fear get more from your source. Check your generator for its output and then look at your ac breakers. Probably 50 amps max. Always get the intelligent type. The converter should be pure sine wave not modified sine wave. It will say on the literature which it is.

1993 32' Regency Wide Body, 4 speed Allison Trans, Front Entry door, Diamond Plate aluminum roof &
1981 Euro 22' w Chevy 350 engine and TH 400 tranny

Posts: 1513 | Location: Houston Texas | Member Since: 12-19-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Progressive Dynamics is a great converter/charger . 70 amp is more than needed and will pull 1250 watts or about 11.5 amps. The 45 amp model will pull 725 watts and about 7 amps . Both will charge fine , the 45 will just take a little longer .
Tell us about your battery set up .

Multiple 6v batteries work great for house batteries when dry camping . There are other options , but that's another long conversation Smiler

I prefer to have separate chargers for the house and coach (engine starting batteries). With the intelligent battery charger , it monitors the batteries .
A battery isolator will cause voltage drop and also does not allow the batteries to be charged or monitored correctly. An isolator works fine from the alternator , but i wouldn't use it with a converter charger .

Ok , that's my two cents. Batteries , chargers and tires always bring friendly debate Smiler

posted Hide Post
Sine wave is in reference to an inverter. Pure or True sine wave is best . Some inverters also have chargers .

In this particular situation , Mr Pirate is working on his converter/charger . The larger converter will charge the batteries faster , but won't hurt anything.
The thing to consider is the amount of amps being pulled from the 110 outlet you have it plugged into.
Your outlet is either 15 or 20 amp max. You can determine a devices amp draw by dividing the watts its pulls by the voltage that powers it.

watts÷voltage=amps

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Harold,Cat&Sam:
Sine wave is in reference to an inverter. Pure or True sine wave is best . Some inverters also have chargers .

In this particular situation , Mr Pirate is working on his converter/charger . The larger converter will charge the batteries faster , but won't hurt anything.
The thing to consider is the amount of amps being pulled from the 110 outlet you have it plugged into.
Your outlet is either 15 or 20 amp max. You can determine a devices amp draw by dividing the watts its pulls by the voltage that powers it.

Twinkle twinkle little star power equals I squared R....hee hee!!!

watts÷voltage=amps

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pirate19
posted Hide Post
I have two 12v deep cell batteries (going to wing it) connected in parallel.
I have 50 amp 120v service. I know my converter's two prong w/ ground plug is 15 Amp (parallel prongs), not 20 amp (perpendicular prongs). I have not looked at my breakers.

I'm thinking either a 60 amp or 70 amp Progressive Dynamics.

I notice the PD's have variable speed cooling fans. Am I correct the fan would run less on the 70 amp than the 60? The converter is located at the foot of the bed. I probably can't quiet an obnoxious fan with a shove. Assuming I am using both AC's, can I expect the cooling fan to run continuously?

Finally, is the power that supplies the appliances coming from the batteries or the converter. I assume since the converter charges the batteries the wires at the converter go to the battery posts. The wires to the appliances comes from the same posts. Soooo, the converter power goes to the appliances and only down into the batteries to charge? So with two AC's operating and fully charged batteries I can expect the converter to be running on full / boost mode? And I understand a new tech converter with cleaner power is better for the appliances. When not on shore power is the power from the batteries less clean? Need an emoji for canned laughter.

I did disclose I was not an electrical guy. Merely a simple minded guy who needs sleep. Thanks for your help.

'92 Breakaway
Allison AT542
Floor Plan 30-BS-11B
9205-3798-30BS11B

posted Hide Post
Your converter only runs 12 volt items and charges batteries . Most lights , vent fans , radio , furnace fan are examples of 12 volt items.

The air conditioners , refrigerator , water heater are powered by 110 volt ac power. You can only run those on shore power or generator. The converter does not run these items. The refrigerator and water heater only need very little 12 volt to power their electronic boards.

Happy to get into more details if you have questions .

posted Hide Post
Two good six volt batteries would be better , in my opinion. The plates in the batteries are larger and are better for constant discharging and recharging.

Of the two , i would go with the 60 amp and i believe that is bigger than what is really needed. A 45 amp would work fine. It's not going to charge at high amps for too long , so the fan noise shouldn't be a problem.