Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Need Fan Clutch recommendation
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Need Fan Clutch recommendation
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/09

Picture of Ray
posted
Just a quick one here...
On my 1990 Ford 460 the fan clutch needs replacement. (free wheels, see leaking grease)
Is the good ole NAPA off the shelf clutch ok or do I need to spec out an aftermarket unit...
Hayden has one (2799) but not sure if that is any better than NAPA product.
Thanks for any thoughts.

1990 28' Barth - John Deere/Oshkosh chassis with 460 Ford

Posts: 110 | Location: Ormond Beach, Florida | Member Since: 04-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Host" of Barthmobile.com
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/19
Picture of Bill N.Y.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ray:
Is the good ole NAPA off the shelf clutch ok...
As far as my 460 Ford Powered coach is concerned... I used the NAPA replacement when I changed mine out. The Hayden one might be superior, I don't know. I would like to hear thoughts on this too.

˙ʎ˙u ןןıq- „ǝןƃuɐ ʇuǝɹǝɟɟıp ɐ ɯoɹɟ pןɹoʍ ǝɥʇ ʇɐ ʞooן ɐ ƃuıʞɐʇ sı ǝɟıן oʇ ʇǝɹɔǝs ǝɥʇ„

Regis Widebody1990 Barth Regis Widebody
8908 0128 40RDS-C1
L-10 Cummins
Allison MT647 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Regal Conversion1991 Medical Lab Conversion
9102 3709 33S-12
Ford 460 MPFI
C6 Transmission
Oshkosh Chassis

Quick Link: Members Only Link To Send Me A Private Message

Posts: 5924 | Location: Newburgh, New York | Member Since: 05-10-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/12
Picture of rp's barth
posted Hide Post
when i did mine i used a napa found bad reviews on haden found better but also more expensive.

Richard & Robin
s7809 2539 MC27 FP3

• 1979 27'
  • 454 Chevy
  • P-32 Chassis

Posts: 296 | Location: Deltona Flordia | Member Since: 08-18-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 06/08
Picture of Neil T.
posted Hide Post
The NAPA unit I bought for my GM was a Hayden unit in a NAPA box. I returned it and bought a Hayden unit from Advanced auto parts for a lot less $. Now just the other day I had to remove the fan and clutch and replace it on the side of the road with a "flex" fan. The stock fan blade blew apart coming down I40 in Tenn. The "flex" fan was all I could find but works fine with a lot less noise, so I may just leave it. I dont know if this is any help since you have a Ford but there you go.

Neil

www.swedishautomotive.com
77 28' Rear Bath
The "Budget BARTH"

Posts: 246 | Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina | Member Since: 04-20-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
Picture of Jack
posted Hide Post
Mine (OEM) locked up and I replaced with a generic bubas local autoparts' unit some place in Ohio in a parking lot in the rain. I cut, two slots in the plastic shroud to allow me to slid out the fan assembly without removing the entire shroud. Worked fine ever since.

Vectra Grand Tour 34
New Hampshire

Posts: 369 | Location: North Troy, Vermont | Member Since: 08-30-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 08/09

Picture of Ray
posted Hide Post
Just wanted to record the NAPA part number for our Ford owners.
NAPA... 273377

FYI... this NAPA part is made by Hayden and it is less expensive to just buy it direct from Hayden. That Hayden number is 2799.

1990 28' Barth - John Deere/Oshkosh chassis with 460 Ford

Posts: 110 | Location: Ormond Beach, Florida | Member Since: 04-25-2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 12/12
Picture of Lee
posted Hide Post
My experiences (w/454):

Installed Hayden HEAVY duty....got one season out of it (must have been defective at mfg)...........

Installed Hayden SEVERE duty.....going on 6 years and still working like it should.....

For me....well worth extra $ (change-outs are a pain Mad )

Posts: 1266 | Location: Frederick, Maryland | Member Since: 09-12-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post

Five cent version: OEM is best.

One Dollar version:

I have towed heavy loads up Chiriaco, Grapevine, Baker, Montezuma and Sherwin grades since the sixties to fish, boat, dune buggy or water ski with my friends since the sixties. All are steep, and often HOT. Sherwin is LOOOOOONG.

Myself and my friends all had a variety of vehicles, and used this and that clutch. We compared notes compulsively. The clutches that worked best and lasted longest were the OEM units. None of the aftermarket fans lasted as long or worked as well under that severe service. Some of the aftermarket units appear to be outsourced or rebranded, and I have seen the same part number that did not match another of the same.

I would suspect that Ford is like GM, in that there are several models available, and it is important to pick the right one.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post