Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Leaking around my front roof fan
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Leaking around my front roof fan
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of benebob
posted
I thought I solved this last year with a little roof patch but apparently that isn't the case. About 75% sure that it is coming down around the fan but it is wet enough all over to not be positive. Figure I at least should pull the fan and reseal it but what are the chances I will get it off without breaking the 30 year old plastic? If I do get a new fan any recommendations? Should I just use butyl tape and then seal it with dicor sealant around it or is there a better way?

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
Ben, tighten down air conditioner mounting bolts. Seals shrink and can cause leaks.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Benebob, get your self a bottle of Miller Lite, kick back and look how pretty your ole Barth looks.

ok, go to the home improvement store, buy a can of Flex-Seal white, spray the perimeter of the fan on the roof. I love Flex Seal, I do use the nark offs though, I think rustoleim.(sp)

Do a better fix when you have the time, this only lasts about 20 years.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/18
Picture of benebob
posted Hide Post
Ac is pretty far back and on another panel so I would think it would leak either around the ac or at the seam between the panels. This is one of those 3 speed 12" fans. It is far too gooped up up top to even get at the screws without some work. Pretty sure I don't think flex seal would work. I used a pretty decent roof mastic when I tried to seal it last year unsuccessfully I might add. Smiler I wouldn't be looking at it if I had a can of Miller light, I would be in the bathroom.

Posts: 218 | Location: Lancaster, PA | Member Since: 09-06-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Benebob if you can find the source of the leak I would bet a 6 pack of craft beer Flex Seal will stop it. my roof is a holy mess had leaks everywhere, I have used about 2 cans and now have a dry interior. Granted if I ever get the time I am going to strip the whole roof and seal it properly.

P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2047 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by benebob:
I wouldn't be looking at it if I had a can of Miller light, I would be in the bathroom.

Worshiping the porcelain alter. Ben see what happens when you drink "WB" Weenie Beer. you can understand why words like Barrtery or Rustoleium are underlined in RED. Oh well train engineers and aircraft engineers are both smarter than common folk like you and me Ben.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Flex seal spray might work fine in cooler climates, but my experience down here in Florida is that within 6 months it turns to dust that can me swept away with the back of your fingers. When my vents were leaking, I bought a roll of 6" peel and stick, the good stuff, from a mobile home supply store. I cleaned as good as I could around the flanges, cut the tape into 3" strips, and covered the flanges with the tape, overlapping 1/2 of the width onto the roof. Then I sealed all that with a good coat of self leveler seal, Lesco I think, then cleaned and sealed the whole roof with Lesco roll-on. That was about 10 years ago and it never leaked again. Another hard to track leak is the clearance lights. When the front ones leak you might mistake it for a windshield leak and chase that down till you're pulling your hair out. A good quality sealer caulk will stop it, but you have to redo it every year or so. For the good fix, removing them to properly seal the hole will take care of it, but as long as you have the old ones off you might as well replace them with LEDs from Superbrite.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
The PO of my GlassNose sealed the wind shields with about 2 tons of good sealant, thinking it leaked, actualy it was the running lights above. I had a heck of time removing all that sealant. I just sealed lights and the rivets holding them, but again I really would like to replace them as DannyZ suggests.

I love Miller lite and Flex Seal!!!! But I guess it is not the end all to roof leaks ..lol I do think some of the ingredients in craft beers has affected a few of our Barth partners in crime,,, Kevin and Benebob are classic examples!

P30 chassis
350 engine