Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Help C8.3L EGT Thermocouple Location and Boost Location
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Help C8.3L EGT Thermocouple Location and Boost Location
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/10
Picture of roman
posted
Went to install my Isspro thermocouple for my new EGT gauge and couldn't find a factory port anywhere on the exhaust manifold collector, inlet of the turbo or outlet of the turbo. Could it be that I simply don't have one and will have to drill and tap one?

My knowledge of exhaust gas temperature measurement is extensive in the gas turbine and aircraft recip engine area. But I've never installed, removed or did any troubleshooting on a diesel EGT system so not sure where the thermocouple is generally located. But my gut feel is that it should be located as close to the outlet/collector of the exhaust manifold as possible, is this right?

If installing a port in the exhaust manifold is prevented by a diffuser or requires removing it from the engine (and I think it would) is there another suitable option that provides an accurate EGT measurement?

While I'm in the area. Is turbo boost pressure measured at the outlet of the turbo or the inlet of the intake manifold? My C8.3 manual says that the pressure differential between the turbo outlet and the inlet of the intake manifold should not be more than 3 psid or you may have a restriction. But it doesn't identify where boost is measured. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Roman

1993, 34', Regency, Widebody
300 HP Cummins
6 spd Allison, Spartan Chassis

Posts: 73 | Location: Alaska | Member Since: 03-08-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Boost is generally measured at the intake manifold.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
I had the same issue with my 5.9L Cummins, I bought a new exhaust manifold because the old one had a lot of cracks and while out I thought it a good time to install a EGT probe. However, I didn't like the thickness of the manifold and to drill and tap the cast iron seemed to be an invitation to trouble. I removed the outlet plumbing from the turbo and welded a bung as close to the turbo outlet as possible. This will result in a lower temperature reading so that has to be taken into account. The general rule is to add 300 degrees to the EGT reading if it is taken after the turbo so I limit power when I hit 950 degrees. 1250 is considered the max for most Cummins when measured at the exhaust manifold outlet or the turbo inlet.

I measure the boost from a intake manifold source.

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 10/10
Picture of roman
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the input guys.

After I got to thinking about my problem I did a google search to see if this issue has been addressed. It had, as a matter of fact Banks Performance has quite a good set of instructions for both EGT and Boost. As a result I went to the Cummins dealer and got gaskets, 4 new studs and nuts for the turbo flange mounting. Also, picked up the instructions for testing the waste gate operation.

I'm not looking forward to removing the turbo and drilling and tapping the exhaust manifold but it has to be done to monitor EGT upstream of the turbo. Thanks again.

Roman

1993, 34', Regency, Widebody
300 HP Cummins
6 spd Allison, Spartan Chassis

Posts: 73 | Location: Alaska | Member Since: 03-08-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/11
Picture of lenny and judy
posted Hide Post
is the pacbrak to far from the turbo. the pacbrake has a 1/8npt for checking brake pressure and that is 35#or65# because of valve spring being upgraded
lenny

lenny and judy
32', Regency, Cummins 8.3L, Spartan Chassis, 1992
Tag# 9112 0158 32RS 1B

Posts: 790 | Location: Naples Florida,g.g. | Member Since: 02-06-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post