Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Barth won't start
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Barth won't start
 Login now/Join our community

posted
1993 Barth auto, 6 cylinder diesel pusher. Spartan chassis and Cummings motor. Both companies in Lansing, Michigan about 45 minutes away.
Have taken it to Florida the past 3 winters. Haven't had it out this summer yet, but I start it up every week or so and move it around the yard.
About two weeks ago it would not turn over. All the gauges work with ignition on.
Talked to my mechanic and he said he was booked for 6 weeks.

I remember from past high school auto shop a time I had to jump a starter-solenoid to get my car started.
I turner my ignition on, went to the back end and took a screwdriver and jumped the starter-solenoid, started right up. Moved it around the yard, ran great. Parked ,turned off the key and the motor stopped. Turned the key again and only the gauges worked.
Went to Spartan chassis office and was looking for electrical schematics. They did not have them, but they were somewhat helpful. Talked about a 2nd solenoid on the front firewall or frame or in electrical panel. Told me if I jumped this, and if it was the problem, it should start than. Jumped the front or 2nd solenoid, gauges lite up but ignition did not turn the engine over.

Need Help! Any advise would be greatly appreciated. If anyone has electrical schematics, this would be very helpful in following the wiring or figure out what part might not be working.
Thanks!
JoeG

Posts: 3 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-11-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
Hi,I would take a small ball peen hammer and gently tap the starter housing a couple of times. Then try starting it. If it starts, replace the starter.
Kenny

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
A bit perplexed, if you jumped the solenoid and the engine turned over, would it do the same a second time? Sounds like you have identified the problem, rebuild the solenoid or if they are a single unit get a new starter, solenoid.

1971 24 ft Barth Continental
P30 chassis
350 engine

Posts: 2041 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
This is the only Spartan schematic I've found. Shows the front and rear panels and the starter wiring.

http://truckroadservice.com/ba...ARTAN_SCHEM_ORIG.pdf

There is indeed a starter relay on the frame ahead of the engine. It is involved with the key switch and the neutral start circuit. (BTW, be sure your transmission is indeed in neutral!)

good luck.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
The starter solenoid he jumped is on the starter.

Joe I think your starter solenoid is bad. If you jumped across the main terminals at the starter and it again starts, replace the starter. I have a Breakaway and am on my 3rd starter. Similar issues you have outlined.

As long as your gauges and front panel seem to be OK, further proof the problem is the starter solenoid mounted on the starter.

HTH

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2176 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/19
Picture of Harold,Cat&Sam
posted Hide Post
Our 93 Breakaway has two starter solenoids . One on the starter and another mounted on the passenger side of the engine compartment . I can text you a picture tomorrow if you pm me your number , or send me your email address .

Harold
Cat
Sam Miniature Schnauzer
3.8.2009 - 9.24.2021

93 30ft Breakaway
9209-3823-30BS-11B

KE5WCW

Posts: 621 | Location: Mooringsport,LA | Member Since: 05-30-2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Steve VW:
This is the only Spartan schematic I've found. Shows the front and rear panels and the starter wiring.

http://truckroadservice.com/ba...ARTAN_SCHEM_ORIG.pdf

There is indeed a starter relay on the frame ahead of the engine. It is involved with the key switch and the neutral start circuit. (BTW, be sure your transmission is indeed in neutral!)

Thanks! Steve

good luck.

Posts: 3 | Location: Michigan | Member Since: 10-11-2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone! Appreciate your input, advise and past experience. I figured it could not be super bad as I was able to start the Barth by jumping my Solenoid-starter.
I will pull the Solenoid-starter unit and have it tested or replace what is needed.

Thanks again!
JoeG

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/21
Picture of kenny j
posted Hide Post
Joe, if you look in the forum Documents Brochures/Schematics go to page 6 and you will find the wiring diagram for the Spartan chassis in the Spartan EC2000 chassis manual.
ken

Posts: 186 | Location: grasston, mn | Member Since: 06-16-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post