Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    More fuel system stuff!1
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

More fuel system stuff!1
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted
Fuel issues on the P-30 have been talked about on here several times, I am trying the easiest fix a combination of many of the fixes that folks on here have tried. I did a test this morning about 60 miles and all seemed ok.

A new engine mounted fuel pump, and an electric fuel pump installed proceeded by a fuel inline filter just after the 6 way valve.

Does anyone know what is installed in my fuel tanks, one came with the P-30 and the other I guess was installed by Barth.

A RV mechanic said to help prevent vapor lock, I should put a gallon or two of diesel fuel with a fill up, anyone tried that?

Posts: 2045 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Do NOT use diesel fuel! Vapor lock is caused by the fuel constituents with the highest Reed Vapor Pressure (lowest boiling point). Adding diesel fuel doesn't nullify the constituent with the highest RVP - it's still there. However, if you're curious about what it would take to rebuild your engine, try the diesel...

Vapor lock is caused by the low pressure on the suction side of the pump combined with engine heat. Recall that liquids boil at lower temps at lower pressures.

What you have done should cure the problem.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of Duane88
posted Hide Post
Hey Rusty

I think I will not do the diesel thing, thanks for you comment.

Posts: 2045 | Location: Clinton Iowa | Member Since: 04-02-2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
I do agree with Rusty. You do NOT add diesel to a gasser. You can add some gas to a diesel. Back in my old Mercedes manual it called for 20% gas in the winter for winter fuel. You must use the lowest octane available because Octane and Cetane are opposite.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevin:
You must use the lowest octane available because Octane and Cetane are opposite.

Octane and Cetane measure things entirely differently. But that doesn't matter except for a few military dual-fuel engines.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post