Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    small RV AC?
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

small RV AC?
 Login now/Join our community

Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted
Last year I replaced my (original!) front Coleman AC. In looking over the choices I was disappointed to see that all of the available units were in the 13,500 - 15,000 BTU range and around $600.

This was OK for the front AC, I bought a Powersaver Mach III, installed with no problem. Runs about 10 amps instead of 14.

I'm thinking of replacing the back unit in the bedroom but I don't see 13,500 BTU in a 7 x 7 room. Noisy, overkill, and power hungry.

Has anyone found an RV AC of reasonable size for small rooms? I've had no luck. Looking for maybe 5 to 6 thousand BTU, quiet, maybe 5 amps...

I can buy window units from 5K to 10K in 1K increments starting at about $150. I saw a post on another web site where a guy took the guts out of a cheap window AC and installed them into the RV case with very good success and little cost.

I might have to go that way if I can't find something in my size range. I'd prefer to buy something right than have to spend time making one.

I just spent some time adapting a nice quiet EU3000is Honda generator for RV use (Honda doesn't make RV generators any more.) Had to make mounts, tiedowns, electrical connections, and mostly air ducting and fans to handle heat and ventilation. Have not road tested yet but I REALLY like the Honda so far. Quiet!!!

Anyway, I'd rather not have to build my own AC. Anyone know of a smaller unit?

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5171 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Doug Smiley
posted Hide Post
..... I saw a post on another web site....??

http://forums.woodalls.com/Ind...ead/tid/21943313.cfm

The 82 MCC {by Barth}
is not an rv--
it is a Motor Coach!!

Posts: 2587 | Location: Nova Scotia | Member Since: 12-08-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
That's exactly the one I was teased by. It looked like the conversion was fairly easy but involves some cutting and fitting.

Sure would be nice to find a small, reasonably priced RV model ready to go, rather than build one.

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5171 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 5/10
Picture of Marvin+Doris
posted Hide Post
What about the 12v Cuddy Kit AC from Dometic for boats? Guess it got 3500 BTU.
Look on dometic.com under Marine Leisure

1999 Bluebird Custom 33' 8.3 Cummins diesel pusher

Former owner 1989 Barth Regal 25'

Posts: 1313 | Location: Big South Fork TN | Member Since: 09-29-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Have you looked at a Coleman Polar Cub?

We cool our bedroom on hot humid nights with a portable AC. It has a flex tube that dumps the hot air out an open window. I have cut a piece of Masonite to fit the gap. Our Honda 2000 runs it fine at altitudes up to a mile high. Haven't tried it higher, yet.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Smiley:

That is one clever guy.

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 6/12
Formally known as "Humbojb"
Picture of Jim and Tere
posted Hide Post
Bill, I Googled 'Coleman Polar Cub' and came up with only roof mounted units. Do you have a model number? Does yours run on 110 AC? What you describe sounds like a portable unit.
Jim

Jim and TereJim and Tere

1985 Regal
29' Chevy 454 P32
8411 3172 29FP3B
Gear Vendor 6 Speed Tranny

Posts: 3696 | Location: madisonville tn usa | Member Since: 02-19-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 7/17
Picture of Doorman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Marvin+Doris:
What about the 12v Cuddy Kit AC from Dometic for boats? Guess it got 3500 BTU.

Not sure but I think this might be a water cooled evaporator.

1986 31' Regal -1976 Class C
454/T400 P30 -350/T400 G30
twin cntr beds - 21' rear bath

Posts: 1026 | Location: Dayton, Ohio | Member Since: 09-27-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
quote:
Originally posted by Doug Smiley:

That is one clever guy.

I salute the 63yo gentleman. had to laugh out loud when I saw his inclined trolley Click

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim and Tere:
Bill, I Googled 'Coleman Polar Cub' and came up with only roof mounted units.

Yes, they are roof units.

quote:
Do you have a model number? Does yours run on 110 AC? What you describe sounds like a portable unit.
Jim

It is a portable unit. It runs on 120V AC. I don't remember the specs, and it is in our CA house. But, it is a roll around floor unit with a 6 inch or so flex duct that dumps the hot air out a window board. It came with a panel that would fit a standard double hung window, but I had to custom make one for the Barth window. If I were going to buy one again, I would look at the ones with two hoses. They are a little more efficient. I think we may use it in the house bedroom, too. I hate to run a whole house AC just to cool a bedroom.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/19
Picture of Mogan David
posted Hide Post
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/s...earchCategoryId=1022

check out the Mobile MAX swamp cooler confusion

Posts: 2005 | Location: Jackson, Michigan, USA | Member Since: 04-18-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 9/09
Picture of Lance Walton
posted Hide Post
I installed a unit similar to the Mobile Max in the closet in our bedroom. I installed a drain through the floor of the closet for the condensation. For the hot air exhaust I teed it into the vent line from the dryer. To prevent air from blowing back into the coach I put flapper valves into each line ahead of the tee. When we are using the coach we use the overhead AC during the day and the closet unit during the night since it is much quieter. While it sits outside our home we use the closet unit in back and the forward overhead unit both set in the low eighties to keep humidity in check.

Lance & Sue Walton
Previous owner of a
1993 38ft Regency
Cummins 6CTA8.3 300HP
Allison MD3060 Transmission
Spartan Chassis
Loveland, CO

Posts: 229 | Location: Loveland, CO | Member Since: 06-21-2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mogan David:

check out the Mobile MAX swamp cooler confusion

We had a 12 volt evap cooler and finally gave it away. They cool best when the humidity outside is dry, but they add humidity to the room. We find that we tolerate heat quite well if the humidity is low, but are quite uncomfortable when it is high.

Our swamp cooler did us no good when it was hot and muggy.

Picture of hemi354az (FMC #120)
posted Hide Post
Upper limit numbers for a Swamp Cooler (evaporative cooler) are 23-25% Relative Humidity and/or 50-55ºF Dew Point. Either above those numbers and it just makes things soggy. A good swamp cooler will lower ambient temp about 22-25ºF. The work great here in Aridzona until the Monsoon Season comes then we all suffer the high price electric costs of regular air conditioning.
Lou, FMC #120

Posts: 36 | Location: Shopsdale, Aridzona | Member Since: 09-07-2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bill h:
I hate to run a whole house AC just to cool a bedroom.

That's how I got started on this small AC thing...

The Polar Cub is a good start but it is still a 9200 BTU unit. Still looking for a smaller one...

Swamp cooler will work only in dry locations. (see above)

Might have to build one like the other guy did... more stuff for "Barth Upgrades...!" mechanic

(The inclined ladder worked for me when I dragged my 120 lb spare tire onto the roof when my wife refused to do it!) ROTFLMAO

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp