Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    1992 Duotherm Rear roof AC Unit-Fan stopped-started
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

1992 Duotherm Rear roof AC Unit-Fan stopped-started
 Login now/Join our community

posted
While camping this past weekend (outside temp 75 and rising to 78 max) I set my rear Duotherm roof air conditioner for 74 degrees, Fan-LOW, left 2 windows ajar with two spoiled panting dogs and left for 4 hours. Upon my return I noticed the rear unit was no longer blowing air. I could feel a very slight amount of air being released (cold)..No warning lights-Green power light still lit. A noise that sounds like a motor emmitted from the unit- like the motor was struggling to turn? A pulsating low reverbarating kind of up and down hum? When I restarted the unit several times the same symptom would continue. I checked the incoming line voltage with my Fluke 77 and read 119 VAC. I left the unit OFF overnight. The following day I turned the unit back on and it is functioning normally again... Roll Eyes...any thoughts?

Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
I had a similar issue with my Duo Therm - it ran erratically, then on my way to Carl Flack's, it quit (just after the engine A/C locked up again). While waiting for the engine to cool to check things out, I pulled the cover and the circuit board and found a couple of the wires from the ribbon cable broken.

I duct-taped them into contact so the A/C would run.

When I got to Carl's, thanks to his having a decent soldering iron, I desoldered the old joints, slit the ribbon cable between conductors about 1/2", stripped 'em, and resoldered.

Since then it's worked without fail.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Thanks Rusty, I'll have a look and report back..Boy I'd have a tough time not spoiling those two retrievers of yours! Razzer

Larry and Heidi from CA

Posts: 199 | Location: Costa Mesa, CA 92626 USA | Member Since: 01-05-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rusty, the wires going into the circuit board are tight and solid. The other end with the plastic connector appears to be solid too. No cold solder joints found on the circuit board either. Any other things I can check for?

Larry and Heidi from CA

Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Not to rain on a parade, but I'd take that ohmeter, pull that board again and check each lead while wiggling the cable at the joint.

I had looked at mine before and concluded it was OK - but it turns out it wasn't. That's one of the problems with ribbon cables - the wires tend to hold the others in, and one can be misled about the integrity without subjecting the join to a little abuse.

If the front air is the same, you could swap the control boards and test run it hard and see what happens.

Just so you'll have it for reference, the operation is that when the A/C is switched on, the fan comes to High. After a 2-3 minute delay, the compressor kicks in; this operation is governed by the control board.

I just checked my prints, parts lists, and exploded diagrams, and I have nothing useful on the Duotherm...

Otherwise it sounds like a bad control board (its catalog name - the term "control panel" refers to wall-mounted/remote thingies.) or a bad start/run capacitor on the fan (but I'm not sure it's not a shaded pole motor on the fan). It surely sounds like a fan motor problem, and the issue of shutting down due to high heat (from running for a while) is symptomatic of a run capacitor gone defunct.

The compressor will shut down on overpressure/overtemp if the fan motor's not blowing over the condenser.

I'm sorry I don't have the electrical schematics to be of more help....

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"5+ Years of Active Membership"
posted Hide Post
Simple solution seems to be that you froze your evaporator up by leaving the windows open.

Your unit was unable to cycle since it was trying to get the ambient temperature down while 'new' air was constantly being introduced at a temperature higher than its setting.In effect, your a/c was trying to cool off the entire outdoors. This caused it to ice up.

Air can't blow through a wall of ice, so you had minimal flow through the unit, but compressor was working so it was cool.

When you shut it off overnight, it thawed, hence the 'working properly' the next day.

No reason to leave the windows open for your dogs if the A/C is on. You have to choose one or the other.

If it is functioning normally, I would not mess with it.

Better an ugly Barth, than
a pretty Winnebago.

1987 Barth P-30 with 454
Former Hospital Board Room converted to coach by Barth in 1995.

Posts: 178 | Location: Lancaster, PA USA | Member Since: 07-30-2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Excellent possibility! Mine's iced up a couple of times (running on the road), but the fan motor never stopped.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

posted Hide Post
Great information. I'll check continuity on the cable and test with the windows closed. I've never left the windows open in the past so Windsors explanation makes perfect sense too. My dogs gave me a dirty look when I went to close the windows so I had to compromise and leave them open halfway...next time they do that I'll bargain with them and leave the TV on..

Larry and Heidi from CA

posted Hide Post
Duotherm AC service manual available at:

http://users.sisna.com/cebula/acservice.pdf

3M size.

Mike

Posts: 142 | Location: Garden Grove, CA | Member Since: 06-09-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Very helpful! I downloaded it for my laptop, which goes wherever the Barth goes.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
I thought I had a great idea with the new patio room. My roof air blasts plenty of cold air and I thought I'd just leave the door and windows open that are adjacent to the patio and cool it off out there a little too. The air is on anyway so I'm not wasting electricity by diverting some of the cool air to the patio, but Darryl,s post makes me think twice. Would a roof air freeze up like he's talking about? If so would it be damaged or just out of commission until it thaws? I often just close the screen door when at a park, and the coach stays nice and cool and I've never had a problem, but this has me wondering.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
Danny, "It depends".

My own experience with roof air freezing is that it freezes more in high humidity and low fan speed. Also, setting it so cold that the compressor never gets to shut off will make freezing more likely, as the ice never gets to melt away.

So, I would say that if your AC is running on high fan speed, humidity is not too high, and the compressor gets to cycle, icing is less likely. Sometimes, when I had Dometics, medium fan speed was enough to prevent a recurrence of condenser icing.

A clean filter and condenser also helps.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glassnose Aficionado
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/09
Picture of Danny Z
posted Hide Post
Thanks bill, but you bring more questions to the board than answers. My Coleman Mach has Hi Cool, Lo Cool, Hi Fan, Lo Fan, and Off. So how does this effect my question of can I use the unit to somewhat cool the patioroom. I just read the first sentence of this post and it sounds like I'm dissin' bill. Nothing could be further from my intentions. bill is one of the folks I continually look to for accurate and useful info. I am, however, leaving it as posted in the hope of clarifying this matter.

79 Barth Classic

Posts: 3478 | Location: Venice Fl. | Member Since: 07-12-2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
IIRC, the Coleman uses an expansion valve and capilliary tube - these generally prevent iceup. (My Coleman died in the SOB two years ago, so I replaced it - the dealer had Carriers, and it's been fine). So I don't have the manual for it anymore.

Rusty

- Arthur C. Clarke

First Month Member
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 11/13
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Danny Zeeff:
Thanks bill, but you bring more questions to the board than answers.

Ow!

quote:

My Coleman Mach has Hi Cool, Lo Cool, Hi Fan, Lo Fan, and Off. So how does this effect my question of can I use the unit to somewhat cool the patioroom.

I was addressing the question of air conditioner icing icing. In an earlier post, you said, "Darryl,s post makes me think twice. Would a roof air freeze up like he's talking about?" I presume you meant the post by Windsor Dalrymple where he suggested that an AC could be frozen by leaving the windows open. I am presuming that his mention of leaving the windows open and your leaving the door open is similar.

I do not know your heat or humidity situation, but I mentioned it only trying to help, not confuse. Since you have two fan speeds I thought my mention of fan speeds would apply. Since you are trying to cool your patio, I thought my mention of allowing the compressor to cycle would apply.

84 30T PeeThirty-Something, 502 powered

Posts: 6169 | Location: AZ Central Highlands | Member Since: 01-09-2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post