Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Clearance light issue
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Clearance light issue
 Login now/Join our community

Picture of Den and Lisa
posted
Just checking all the lights again the other night, pull the light switch on everything (all the lights) came on. I hit the clearance light switch, never tired it before, now our clearance lights are off and won't come back on. Checked glass fuse and ATC blade fuses under dash and all are good. Do any of you know if that's the ground circuit run through the switch or if there may be any other fuses hidden somewhere. Almost ready for our first trip!

Posts: 34 | Location: Knoxville TN | Member Since: 09-07-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Barth Junkie
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 1/24
Picture of Steve VW
posted Hide Post
The clearance light switch controls power to ALL the clearance lights. In the older coaches this could be 9-10 amps. The switch often fails. It is a normally closed switch, ie power should flow except when toggled.

Simple test: wiggle the switch out of the panel. Check for hot/poor connections. Pull the wires and connect them together. Clearance lights should work again.

This is one of the reasons I converted to LEDs in my 86. Went from over 9 amps to about 1.5 and the new switch should last forever. Mechanic

Have Barths, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp

Posts: 5157 | Location: Kalkaska, MI | Member Since: 02-04-2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 2/16
Captain Doom
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Check the connection on the back of the clearance flasher switch.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields

Posts: 7734 | Location: Brooker, FL, USA | Member Since: 09-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Den and Lisa
posted Hide Post
I did. Have good connections there. Even tried jumping it there. No current there reasoning for asking if its a ground. Really puzzling since I had no problems with them until I flip the switch.

Posts: 34 | Location: Knoxville TN | Member Since: 09-07-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Check resistance between the on side of the switch and ground. As Steve stated you should see about 10 ohms of resistance if the lights are still in the circuit. If no resistance there should be a blown fuse. If infinite resistance an open wire. Test both switches. FWIW
Tim

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Den and Lisa
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellas! Came down to some bad butt connectors out front on the drivers side.

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Check the connection on the back of the clearance flasher switch.

My clearance flasher switch melted earlier this year. I replaced all the clearance lights with (Light Emitting Diodes) LEDs. Then I replaced the clearance flash switch also. The switch does not get warm anymore with the LED lights.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post