Barthmobile Portal
Clearance light issue

This topic can be found at:
https://www.barthmobile.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3631087061/m/3003907987

05-15-2017, 12:20 PM
Den and Lisa
Clearance light issue
Just checking all the lights again the other night, pull the light switch on everything (all the lights) came on. I hit the clearance light switch, never tired it before, now our clearance lights are off and won't come back on. Checked glass fuse and ATC blade fuses under dash and all are good. Do any of you know if that's the ground circuit run through the switch or if there may be any other fuses hidden somewhere. Almost ready for our first trip!
05-15-2017, 01:51 PM
Steve VW
The clearance light switch controls power to ALL the clearance lights. In the older coaches this could be 9-10 amps. The switch often fails. It is a normally closed switch, ie power should flow except when toggled.

Simple test: wiggle the switch out of the panel. Check for hot/poor connections. Pull the wires and connect them together. Clearance lights should work again.

This is one of the reasons I converted to LEDs in my 86. Went from over 9 amps to about 1.5 and the new switch should last forever. Mechanic

Have Barths, will travel Tooling Along

9708-M0037-37MM-01
"98" Monarch 37
Spartan MM, 6 spd Allison
Cummins 8.3 325+ hp
05-15-2017, 01:52 PM
Rusty
Check the connection on the back of the clearance flasher switch.

Rusty

MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP; built-to-order by Peninsular Engines:  Hi-pop injectors, gear-driven camshaft, non-waste-gated, high-output turbo, 18:1 pistons.  Fuel economy increased by 15-20%, power, WOW!"StaRV II"

'94 28' Breakaway: MilSpec AMG 6.5L TD 230HP

Nelson and Chester, not-spoiled Golden Retrievers

Sometimes I think we're alone in the universe, and sometimes I think we're not.
In either case the idea is quite staggering.
- Arthur C. Clarke

It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I've been searching thirty years to find her and thank her - W. C. Fields
05-15-2017, 02:14 PM
Den and Lisa
I did. Have good connections there. Even tried jumping it there. No current there reasoning for asking if its a ground. Really puzzling since I had no problems with them until I flip the switch.
05-15-2017, 03:29 PM
ccctimtation
Check resistance between the on side of the switch and ground. As Steve stated you should see about 10 ohms of resistance if the lights are still in the circuit. If no resistance there should be a blown fuse. If infinite resistance an open wire. Test both switches. FWIW
Tim
05-18-2017, 02:38 PM
Den and Lisa
Thanks fellas! Came down to some bad butt connectors out front on the drivers side.
05-18-2017, 04:00 PM
Kevin
quote:
Originally posted by Rusty:
Check the connection on the back of the clearance flasher switch.

My clearance flasher switch melted earlier this year. I replaced all the clearance lights with (Light Emitting Diodes) LEDs. Then I replaced the clearance flash switch also. The switch does not get warm anymore with the LED lights.