Screen Removal Bargman L-300 Door Handle brakes Satellite Fuel Tank Fire Extinguishers Roof Antenna Tech Talk Forum Shortcut Motor Oil Window Generators headlights batteries Radiator AC Unit Grab Handle Wiper Blades Wiper Blades Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Door Locks Rims Front Shocks Rear Shocks Front Tires Oil Filter Steps Roof Vent Awning Propane Tank Mirror Info Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Clearance Lights Spartan Chassis Gillig Chassis Freightliner Chassis P-32 Chassis MCC Chassis
    Forums    Tech Talk    Engine compartment control panel 3208 CAT
Page 1 2 
Go to...
Start A New Topic
Search
Notify
Tools
Reply To This Topic

Engine compartment control panel 3208 CAT
 Login now/Join our community

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/23
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted
Having problems with my electrical system .. The control panel in the engine compartment isn't labeled.. (sorry no pic currently- maybe someone can post one..)

2 gauges ( one oil pressure and one temp ) , 2 toggle switches and a rubber covered push button.. What are the functions of these switches and gauges? No power so nothing moving/activated..

Current ( no pun intended ) prob is new batts, either not charged/holding a charge, new alternator not charging or unknown electrical drawdown draining batteries. House and compartment switches were in off position. When on, turns over 2 or 3 times and then dies..

Rig will remain in storage in Texas until I return in Feb 17 and then will have it jumped/driven or towed to new repair facility south of Ft Worth. Will fix fuel sender there also and have a look at air pressure sensors leaving dash lights on..

Hope to eventually have all sorted out for the west drive..Frustrating after putting big bucks into it already at one facility.. oh well, the adventure continues..

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes
Data Tag: 9010 3694 34-BG-1B

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 3/23
Picture of ccctimtation
posted Hide Post
Not sure but there may be parasitic drain from various safety devices like CO and smoke alarm. I have installed a battery disconnect switch to prevent having dead batteries when not in use.

Posts: 1066 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Member Since: 10-09-2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 8/19
posted Hide Post
I an not sure what type of drain you are referring to in CO
quote:
Originally posted by ccctimtation:
Not sure but there may be parasitic drain from various safety devices like CO and smoke alarm. I have installed a battery disconnect switch to prevent having dead batteries when not in use.

Certainly installing a battery disconnect is a good idea. I have not found suitable disconnect heavy duty enough for the two D-8 starting batteries. On the other hand, my coach has sat for months without any trouble starting.

My battery drain is on the house battery. Propane, sniffer, antenna booster, dash radio, heating/cooling thermostat controls, and the refrigerator controls panel all run off the house battery.
Mike it could be that some of these components are hooked up to the engine batteries. (or) The engine batteries may not disconnect from the house batteries properly. The house batteries should charge when the 3208 is turning the generator. One bad battery will drain all the batteries if the batteries are all tied together. This could be caused by the house battery bank isolator not disconnecting entirely. The isolator may be keeping the house batteries hooked with the engine battery bank.

One D-8 battery fully charged will start the Caterpillar 3208 in a pinch. For the longevity of the starter, with trouble free operation, two batteries are used. I can tell the difference in starting with one D-8, verses two fully charged D-8 batteries.
The rear run box should be positioned like the picture.

I do not use my rear run box. It does not work to start the Cat engine. Never has and is not important to me. If the positions are incorrect the dash start key will not start the Cat engine either.

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Thanks kevin for the pic of the panel.. Mine is unlabeled so will label per yours.. I have a batt disconnect switch for the house also on the left side of interior steps in a compartment..

In the engine compartment, the ignition switch is a two position toggle. What would I label top poison and what would bottom position be labeled? And front and rear denotes what on the other toggle? I get nothing from the 'push to start' button either.. why not?

Also which batts are for the house and which for the cat motor ops?

Remember, I didn't get a lick of paperwork/schematics/diagrams with this coach so pardon the simple questions..

M/C-W

1991 early XL-style (maybe 1 of 2?) Breakaway... but prior to that actual (XL) designation...
2nd Breakaway w/Cat 3208T 250 hp motor 4 spd MT643 Allison trans Gilig Air suspension chassis/brakes

Posts: 425 | Location: Coachella Valley, SoCalif... | Member Since: 08-23-2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mike/Cindi W:
Thanks kevin for the pic of the panel.. Mine is unlabeled so will label per yours.. I have a batt disconnect switch for the house also on the left side of interior steps in a compartment..

In the engine compartment, the ignition switch is a two position toggle. What would I label top poison and what would bottom position be labeled? And front and rear denotes what on the other toggle? I get nothing from the 'push to start' button either.. why not?

Also which batts are for the house and which for the cat motor ops?

Remember, I didn't get a lick of paperwork/schematics/diagrams with this coach so pardon the simple questions..

The switch at the steps should be "ON" position.

Left toggle is front engine start and rear engine start. I think the other toggle just turns the rear gauge lights on.

Don't worry about starting the Barth form the back! My rear engine start never worked either. Put it like the picture and forget about it.

Follow your battery cables. I followed mine to reveal that the house battery bank is on the driver side. The engine start battery bank is on the passanger side.

Does the generator start? I tried to call you and get no answer. Hope you figure it out so you can drive it to the west coast. Did it run before you purchased it?

Posts: 2478 | Location: Ohio | Member Since: 07-29-2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It could also be your dash ignition switch. Mine worked occasionally. At other times it did nothing. New dash ignition switch is available at Tractor Supply. Jump across the terminals or check the power at the terminals.

Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
The rear start option will only start the engine if the key at the dash is in the on position.

I guess Barth did this to denture theft.

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mike/Cindi W
posted Hide Post
Thanks Steve, didn't even consider that.. Its not that it isn't attempting to start, it just runs down immediately after several turn overs..That's why me thinks its a battery problem..

Add: It ran easily when demonstrated. next time i had access to it was at the storage after the work was done on it (new engine batts installed). Driver there by them. First time I had access to it, it turned over but would not grab then ran to nothing, within say 5/6 turnovers. Next time, about 3 days later, it turned over on first try. I drove it around the storage area with no problem. Next time , about 3 days later, same scenario as first time, turned over a few times and then nothing.. wish i had more manuals and knowledge, sigh...

M/C-W

Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/10
Picture of sky
posted Hide Post
My coach has the same set up as Kevin. The front ignition does not have to be on. The switch labeled ignition on the right turns ignition on and the switch on the left switches the ignition from the front to the rear. When left switch is put in rear position and ignition switch on right in rear is turned on, it should start.

1990 Barth Regency
32RDGB1 Wide Body
3208 Cat 250 HP
Gillig Chassis
Center aisle

Posts: 454 | Location: Murphy, NC | Member Since: 03-01-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
I will have to look into the rear switch thing. My Right side switch only turns on the gauge lamps.

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

Posts: 194 | Location: Hendersonville NC | Member Since: 02-02-2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 4/08
posted Hide Post
When starting these mechanical engines, use full throttle while cranking. Provides a quick start. Just be ready to reduce throttle as it starts.

'92 Barth Breakaway - 30'
5.9 Cummins (6B) 300+ HP
2000 Allison
Front entrance

Posts: 1185 | Location: Minneapolis/Yuma | Member Since: 08-17-2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Supporting Member of Barthmobile.com 03/22
posted Hide Post
Starting my 5.9L Cummins, it will fire on the 2nd or 3rd compression hit. If I advance the throttle before and during cranking, it blows lots of white smoke and will crank much longer. It will also stutter for a bit after it catches.

The only time I use half throttle during cranking is when outside air temp is below 20 degrees and I get off the throttle after 4-5 compression hits.

Ed
94 30' Breakaway #3864
30-BS-6B side entry
New Cummins 5.9L, 375+ HP
Allison 6 speed
Spartan chassis
K9DVC
Tankless water heater

Posts: 2177 | Location: Los Gatos, CA | Member Since: 12-08-2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Generally after several days the air is below 90 psi. The air throttle will not work until air is about 90 psi. My 3208 Caterpillar ( CAT ) will fire right up without any throttle because I cannot add throttle. It appears to be instantly running when the starter is bumped.

Picture of L78steve
posted Hide Post
The 3208 is the fastest starting diesel I know of. Usually one compression bump.

1993 34 Regency WB
8.3 Cummins 300HP

posted Hide Post
The only time mine did not start was when one battery was weak.

So Mike, maybe you just got a bad battery from the battery supplier.